1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

CFL's really any better?

Post in 'The Green Room' started by Jags, Jun 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metal

Metal Minister of Fire

At last count I have over 40 CFL's in/around my house and haven't had any "burn out" yet. I saved the old bulbs so I can take my CFL's with me if I ever move. I like them in the bathroom especially since when I flick them on in the middle of the night of morning they take ~30 seconds to reach full brightness, so it gives my eyes a better chance to adjust. All the shades in my house are frosted glass so I use the majority of the twisted type, but also have the covered ones (look like incandescents) in the bathrooms or wherever they are seen. I bet no one that has visited even know they are CFL's. Unfortunately the people who can least afford to burn incandescents are the same people who won't/can't spend the extra money for their initial purchase, even if they know the amount of money they could be saving.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Sandor

Sandor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Deltaville,VA
    Saw this post on theoildrum.com and thought I would cut and paste it here.

Puts some real numbers to the issue.

"Coal power plants in the US release about 40 metric tons of mercury every year. That is 4 x 10^10 milligrams of mercury, equivalent to breaking 8 x 10^9 CF bulbs every year. That's 8 billion bulbs. If using CF instead of incandescent bulbs saves 1% of our annual electrical use, then we will have displaced the release of 4 x 10^8 milligrams of mercury. If we can manage not to break more than 80 million CF bulbs a year, we come out ahead with regards to mercury release. I think this criticism of Pelosi is unenlightened."
  3. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Good numbers Sandor. That is the "proof in the pudding" I was looking for. Now I can consciously beat the CFL drum.
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Our first CFL from Home Depot's 4 pack just died. I put it in on 2/19/06. The halogen it replaced was over 3 yrs. old, no mercury, no electronics. As noted, CFL's might be ok if they are of the original Osram quality, but I am concerned that the current crop is Chinese crap, in which case, the net environmental effect could be negative.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.