1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

CFM Vermont Castings Dutchwest Everburn Non-Cat Owners Discussion and Review Thread!

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by tradergordo, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Diabel

Diabel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ottawa, ON
    You will see, she will run like a champ!

Yeah, the chimney could never be too clean, when I clean the back of the refactory I always run the brush through the chimney.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. CBburner

CBburner New Member

Loc:
    Cape Breton, Nova Scotia

handle 3.jpg

I found the perfect solution to the handle problem. I drilled through the centers of two wine bottle corks, the synthetic ones, and drilled a recess on the end of one cork to counter sink the head of the screw. It looks great, will not break, feels nice in your hand, and is a little larger than the original handle so you get a better grip. If there is a logo on the cork, just rub it briskly and it will come off, or just wait for time/use to wear it off. If you can find some with non-beveled edges they meet up better, no groove between the two corks. It can be tricky to drill the holes perfectly centered but I managed to do it freehand with no drill press. I've made them for three of my neighbours who also have Dutchwest stoves. Here's a picture.
  3. mark axen

mark axen New Member

Thanks to all for the helpful, interesting info! My 800 sf Adirondack house is fairly well insulated. Currently using Woodstock Soapstone Franklin Cottage DV- LP stove. I am considering these non-cat woodburners: DUTCHWEST 2477 (small); HEARTHSTONE Craftsbury; QUADRAFIRE Yosemite; HARMAN Oakleaf; LOPI Leyden. Seems all are made in the USA. ( I will use a RINNAI DV- LP as back-up & supplemental heater) . All things being equal, is it better to have a smaller stove buring 'stronger', or a larger stove burning a bit lower?... The sf space heating ranges listed in the brochures have a huge range. Like most everyone, I am looking for well built stove that is durable and works well ! Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks. -Mark Axen.
  4. branchburner

branchburner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    I would choose a somewhat smaller stove burning 'stronger' over a much larger stove burning a bit lower - sometimes hard to get 'low'. Those are all fine stoves you listed... personally, I would go with a Woodstock Keystone cat for 800 sf.

You might want to start a fresh thread of your own, instead of piggy-backing on this one, to get more feedback.
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    This is an old thread and your needs and mentioned stoves are quite different. If you start a new thread you'll get better answers and attention to your specific needs.