1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Chain & Bar Oil

Post in 'The Gear' started by kruger, May 17, 2010.

1. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    Modern saws and certainly the most popular stihl, the 290, use a very small amount of bar oil. I believe that the greenies had a part in that. My 290 has an adjustable flow regulator that is maxed out all the time and still always has about half a tank of oil left when the fuel runs out. Noticeably higher oil consumption in the warmer weather when the oil thins down some.

Back in the old days you could rev a saw and fling bar oil off visibly, not so with the modern Stihl 290.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    can you get 10 cords on a gallon out of that thing?
  3. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    Of what?
  4. Bigg_Redd

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    I do
  5. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    I got to see some pics of this saw.....mainly the bar....My 460 pumps good oil and my bar showing alot of wear after 3 years an its an es bar.
  6. Bigg_Redd

Loc:
    Shelton, WA

I've cut 10+ cord per year for 7 (or 8) years with what was at the time a brand new 290

I've used a gallon or less every year and am on the OEM 20" bar (which is still in decent shape)

Why would I make any of this up?
  7. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    There, I fixed it for 'ya. Lee has a fun name.
  8. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    On the b&c oil, I just find the stuff on sale (last batch was gallon/$5-Husky) at TSC. I got 2 gallons last year at that price, and just recently started on the 2nd gallon. I only cut about 5-10 cord/year though.
    Thought about using the old motor oil, but WW gets mine when we do our monthly shopping trip (if I have any, AND if I can remember to take it with me).
  9. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    I know there a big differnce between 7 cords and 10 cords but my best is 4 cords.lol Just wondering if anyone getting 10 cords with a gallon has pic's of the 10 cords and a pic of the saw?
  10. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Here you go.

[​IMG]
  11. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    lol poles, I was just thinking that would be a way to pull it off. I have to delimb eveything first so I am cutting alot more to get a cord. Your saw is an older one and should be throwing alot more oil?
  12. oldspark

oldspark Guest

No way could I get 10 cords with a gallon of oil (older stihls) maybe half that.
  13. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    In it's youth, it looked like a blood bath, the way it threw red oil everywhere but it's old and tired now. I also only buy heavy weight oil which flows less in the Winter.

That saw is over 30 years old and I think it's on its third bar. Compared to the price of oil, bars are cheap so I won't spend a lot on oil to get a little more life from a bar. The chain wears down from filing anyway.
  14. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    yep but with that, your saw pulls harder and will be slower theres a trade off. I could see 10 cords with a couple gallons on pole logs but really would want the bar and saw running that hot unless there is no choice.
  15. Black Jaque Janaviac

Black Jaque Janaviac Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ouisconsin

I don't know if this was tongue-in-cheek or what. But be wary of veggie oil. If you let it sit it'll dry to laquer and then you'll be replacing pumps and such.
  16. oldspark

oldspark Guest

The only time you want to use vegetable oil is when you are cutting up a cow, hog, ect.
  17. kruger

kruger Member

Loc:
    SE Wyoming
    Clean that saw up real nice, load up the veggie oil, and get to slicing that hog. I've seen this happen in Mineola, IA.