Chain & Bar Oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Modern saws and certainly the most popular stihl, the 290, use a very small amount of bar oil. I believe that the greenies had a part in that. My 290 has an adjustable flow regulator that is maxed out all the time and still always has about half a tank of oil left when the fuel runs out. Noticeably higher oil consumption in the warmer weather when the oil thins down some.

Back in the old days you could rev a saw and fling bar oil off visibly, not so with the modern Stihl 290.

Highbeam said:
Modern saws and certainly the most popular stihl, the 290, use a very small amount of bar oil. I believe that the greenies had a part in that. My 290 has an adjustable flow regulator that is maxed out all the time and still always has about half a tank of oil left when the fuel runs out. Noticeably higher oil consumption in the warmer weather when the oil thins down some.

Back in the old days you could rev a saw and fling bar oil off visibly, not so with the modern Stihl 290.

can you get 10 cords on a gallon out of that thing?

smokinjay said:
Bigg_Redd said:
WYO said:
Does anyone brew their own oil? I'm been using a recipe from my dad for a couple years and wondering if anyone else is doing the same and how theirs differs.

Mine:

one part 80-90w gear oil
one and a half parts 10-30w motor oil
one and a half parts ATF

Heavier on the ATF on really cold days and lighter on the 80-90w

I use really cheap products and it comes out to be an awefully cheap gallon of bar oil.

Thoughts?

I cut a lot of firewood (10+ cord per year) and go through less than a gallon per year. I can't imagine you're going through enough bar oil that it becomes a noticeable budget item.

pics?

Of what?

smokinjay said:
Highbeam said:

I do

Bigg_Redd said:
smokinjay said:
Highbeam said:

I do

I got to see some pics of this saw.....mainly the bar....My 460 pumps good oil and my bar showing alot of wear after 3 years an its an es bar.

smokinjay said:
Bigg_Redd said:
smokinjay said:
Highbeam said:

I do

I got to see some pics of this saw.....mainly the bar....My 460 pumps good oil and my bar showing alot of wear after 3 years an its an es bar.

I've cut 10+ cord per year for 7 (or 8) years with what was at the time a brand new 290

I've used a gallon or less every year and am on the OEM 20" bar (which is still in decent shape)

Why would I make any of this up?

wood dope said:
Jay, you said atf works good but isn't cheap. Have you used it personally? The reason I ask is I have access to an unlimited supply of used atf and I'd use it if there were no risk of problems. A gallon of b+c oil lasts me at least a year so cost not an issue, but I like to be frugal when possible. BTW, what's up with you LEE? Your handle changes frequently(FREQUENTLEE) to say the least.

There, I fixed it for 'ya. Lee has a fun name.

On the b&c oil, I just find the stuff on sale (last batch was gallon/$5-Husky) at TSC. I got 2 gallons last year at that price, and just recently started on the 2nd gallon. I only cut about 5-10 cord/year though.
Thought about using the old motor oil, but WW gets mine when we do our monthly shopping trip (if I have any, AND if I can remember to take it with me).

Bigg_Redd said:
smokinjay said:
Bigg_Redd said:
smokinjay said:
Highbeam said:

I do

I've cut 10+ cord per year for 7 (or 8) years with what was at the time a brand new 290

I've used a gallon or less every year and am on the OEM 20" bar (which is still in decent shape)

Why would I make any of this up?

I know there a big differnce between 7 cords and 10 cords but my best is 4 cords.lol Just wondering if anyone getting 10 cords with a gallon has pic's of the 10 cords and a pic of the saw?

smokinjay said:
Just wondering if anyone getting 10 cords with a gallon has pic's of the 10 cords and a pic of the saw?
Here you go.

100_0301.jpg

LLigetfa said:
smokinjay said:
Just wondering if anyone getting 10 cords with a gallon has pic's of the 10 cords and a pic of the saw?
Here you go.

100_0301.jpg

lol poles, I was just thinking that would be a way to pull it off. I have to delimb eveything first so I am cutting alot more to get a cord. Your saw is an older one and should be throwing alot more oil?

No way could I get 10 cords with a gallon of oil (older stihls) maybe half that.

smokinjay said:
Your saw is an older one and should be throwing alot more oil?
In it's youth, it looked like a blood bath, the way it threw red oil everywhere but it's old and tired now. I also only buy heavy weight oil which flows less in the Winter.

That saw is over 30 years old and I think it's on its third bar. Compared to the price of oil, bars are cheap so I won't spend a lot on oil to get a little more life from a bar. The chain wears down from filing anyway.

LLigetfa said:
smokinjay said:
Your saw is an older one and should be throwing alot more oil?
In it's youth, it looked like a blood bath, the way it threw red oil everywhere but it's old and tired now. I also only buy heavy weight oil which flows less in the Winter.

That saw is over 30 years old and I think it's on its third bar. Compared to the price of oil, bars are cheap so I won't spend a lot on oil to get a little more life from a bar. The chain wears down from filing anyway.

yep but with that, your saw pulls harder and will be slower theres a trade off. I could see 10 cords with a couple gallons on pole logs but really would want the bar and saw running that hot unless there is no choice.

I have been running regular bar oil. But I am thinking ot changing over to to strait vegetable oil. I hear it works very well.

Billy

I don't know if this was tongue-in-cheek or what. But be wary of veggie oil. If you let it sit it'll dry to laquer and then you'll be replacing pumps and such.

Black Jaque Janaviac said:
I have been running regular bar oil. But I am thinking ot changing over to to strait vegetable oil. I hear it works very well.

Billy

I don't know if this was tongue-in-cheek or what. But be wary of veggie oil. If you let it sit it'll dry to laquer and then you'll be replacing pumps and such.
The only time you want to use vegetable oil is when you are cutting up a cow, hog, ect.

oldspark said:
Black Jaque Janaviac said:

Billy

The only time you want to use vegetable oil is when you are cutting up a cow, hog, ect.

Clean that saw up real nice, load up the veggie oil, and get to slicing that hog. I've seen this happen in Mineola, IA.

Status
Not open for further replies.