1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Chain break

Post in 'The Gear' started by junksta, Oct 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. junksta

junksta New Member

Loc:
    Pinedale, AZ Elev. 6400'
    Was wondering if anyone has had a chain break and what the outcome was. Curious if the chainbrake on todays saws save your hyde or just limit the damage. (Do I really want an answer to this?)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    No i havent had a broken chain ..........Most/all new saws have a chain break to stop the chain in case of kick back of the saw and you are to lock your chain break in when moving around when the saw is running but your are not cutting. Most /all new saw have a chain guard in the event you throw a chain from your bar. The most common reason for throwing a chain is stumping a log ( cutting ground level of a tree stump ) Also if you dont keep you chain on your chainsaw at the proper tension you can throw a chain off the bar and cutting saplings of a small diameter can also throw a chain.
    Batman likes this.
  3. suematteva

suematteva New Member

Loc:
    Rutland, VT//Southern Quebec
    Never had a chain break. Ditto what is said above.

Chain brakes make a difference. Probably the specific product feature that has reduced chainsaw injuries the most..
  4. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    Had the old Husky throw the chain off once...it was rather uneventful...just a quick"pop", the engine reved up and the chain coiled up under the saw. Still a bit baffled as to how it got off the track. Generally every 1-2 tanks of gas I give the chain a quick touchup with the file, adjust tension, etc. Never actually broken a chain, though.

Also had the chain brake trip once. I was limbing a fallen tree, although I didn't see it, I guess I bumped the handle on a limb and set the brake. Next thing I know the chain is locked and won't move. After a few minutes of bewilderment and some disassembly I got to the root of the problem. I initially thought some small bit of wood had wedged in the saw.

Corey
  5. kd460

kd460 Feeling the Heat

I had one break on a smaller 14 inch homelite. Pretty much like cozy described, a pop an increase in revs and nothing else. Swapped out chains and good to go. KD
  6. BikeMedic2709

BikeMedic2709 New Member

Loc:
    North-Central Ohio
    Funny you should ask. A few weeks ago I was cutting a small tree (sapling) and the chain came off the bar/guide. It swung around and struck my left thigh. The chain "catcher" stopped the rotation of the chain, activated the chain/clutch brake and kept it from doing alot of damage to my body. (This is where I will put in a plug for chaps!)
    I was so surprised that the chain came off. I didn't think it was loose, but it appearently was. It was freightening.
    The replacement part was $7.00. Money well spent.
  7. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    In my experience, on the rare occasions when chains break, they drop to the ground once the tension is released. That's not to say they won't find a way to bite you, but I've never had that happen.

You should not use any saw without an inertial chain brake. I believe most (if not all) new saws have intertial brakes, but there are plenty of old saws out there that have nothing in the way of a brake, and you should definitely steer clear of them.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.