Chain Maintenence

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BatocheBob

Oct 21, 2014
St. Laurent, SK
With regard to the two studs on which the bar mounts can anybody tell me if it is a left or right hand thread on the stud that screws into the body (not the end that receives the nuts.). They are awfully tight and I don't want to be forcing things in the wrong direction. (tensioner is bent and wear plate worn)Thanks.

If they were left hand you would unscrew them when you tightened the blade.

Reactions: Jon1270
With regard to the two studs on which the bar mounts can anybody tell me if it is a left or right hand thread on the stud that screws into the body (not the end that receives the nuts.). They are awfully tight and I don't want to be forcing things in the wrong direction. (tensioner is bent and wear plate worn)Thanks.
Shouldn't matter on any sort of proper saw, where they're flanges captive behind metal. OTOH, let's hope you're not dealing with a stihl 250, with bar studs threaded into PLASTIC. Whose idea was that?
Any such piece pressed or threaded into metal deserves a drop of Loctite. Plastic, fuggeddaboudit.

To clarify the confusion above, if they're threaded at all then it will be a right-hand thread, but on some models the stud is a bolt with a head on the inside of the oil tank. We'd need to know what saw you have before we could answer your question with any specificity.

Status
Not open for further replies.