Chain puzzle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MoDoug

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2018
NE Missouri
Every time I change my chain, it's like this, or worse. It reminds me of those puzzles that I never was very good at, and it seems to take me 5 minutes to figure it out. Is there a trick to it that I haven't figured out, or is that just the way it is?

Chain.jpg

I hang mine from nails in my woodshed. That keeps them from kinking. If I am transporting them, I often lay it into a piece of duct tape and close the tape around it. I would be happy to see if others have unique ways of doing it though.

Out of the pack chains do this to me all the time, I just lay it flat and make a triangle then pull the 2 circle end through the apex of the one triangle point, its like and over under thing, it works for me at least.

I often lay it into a piece of duct tape and close the tape around it.
I used to wrap my spare chains in a newspaper
Out of the pack chains do this to me all the time, I just lay it flat and make a triangle then pull the 2 circle end through the apex of the one triangle point, its like and over under thing, it works for me at least.

Three very different and interesting ways to deal with it. I need to try to start out with a straight chain and store it that way, like with the tape or newspaper. Knowing me I inevitably end up with a puzzle, and I'll have to try kennyp2339's way of dealing with it. So far, it's always humbled me. LOL

If you really want to mess with someone, it’s fairly easy to flip them inside out. Just grab with both hands and put the bottom of the loop against your knee, then push with one hand and pull with the other.

If you really want to mess with someone, it’s fairly easy to flip them inside out. Just grab with both hands and put the bottom of the loop against your knee, then push with one hand and pull with the other.

I have a worn out chain, I may have to practice that. If I pull it off, I have a person in mind! LOL

Reactions: Nealm66
Some other suggestions:

1. Put zip ties every foot or so around a chain. Helps it keep from kinking
...1a. If you've got some of those velcro cable management ties, you could keep re-using those instead of cutting zip ties
2. Get a PVC tube the length of your chain, put PVC caps on each end, drill a hole near one of the ends of the tube. Put a easily removable bolt and wing nut through the hole. Now you can hang your chains from the bolt inside the tube. The tube can go into an ATV box or be strapped to your ATV
3. I once saw a buddy keep his spare chains in old VHS tape boxes
4. Some people keep chains in plastic tupperware when transporting, but that just keeps them safe...not from kinking
5. If you carry a 5 gallon bucket around with your cutting tools (wedges, files, oil, etc.) you can either run a bolt through the top (like the PVC tube idea) or just put a short eyebolt in the side. Then attach a carabiner to the eyebolt and slide your spare chains onto the carabiner. I do that with my ice fishing bucket. There are two short eyebolts with carabiners on the outside to hold my tipups. You could do the same on the inside but to hold your chains.

I seem to remember watching a woodmaker show or video where the guy made a custom box (like you'd make for pool cues) but shaped to hold several of his chainsaw chains. It seemed like a great idea, just a lot of work to get it done. The cheap route could be to just find a case of the right size and screw or glue in some dowels at each end that would keep your chain in an oval shape during transport.

Buy me a couple beers at the bar, and I'll keep these ideas coming all night long....!

Reactions: MoDoug and Nealm66
I rather like trying to figure out the puzzle, granted its not like solving a Rubiks cube, but i like the satisfaction once i finally get it.
Sometimes im like wtf, why s this so hard, its a stupid circle, why cant i figure out a stupid circle? ...but then i get it and i feel good about myself

Gal at the saw shop grabbed both corners, flipped it in front of her...just swung it through her arms. Voila!! I thought it was amazing.

Find the points where the cutters are flipped to the inside and pull those opposite to each other and the loop should correct. Another way that helps is to hold the loop at eye level and see how the links get stacked and flipped around.

Find the points where the cutters are flipped to the inside and pull those opposite to each other and the loop should correct. Another way that helps is to hold the loop at eye level and see how the links get stacked and flipped around.
Right, grab those loops and roll chain out till you can flip it across itself.

Reactions: MoDoug and SpaceBus