Chain question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2008
NE Iowa
I am using the original chain on my saw and am surprised how often I have to sharpen it. It seems like it only stays truly sharp for a few cuts. I would like to get a new chain and am wondering if there is a type that will work better. My saw runs a .325 pitch, .050 gauge, 72 link chain.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of chisel, semi-chisel, etc.

Oregon is obviously the easiest to find. Is there a better brand?

Oregon is good but I think Stihl is better.

Try using the search function on "chain types" this is a question that has been discussed a LOT... However, In very short form...

1. Some people like Stihl chains, others say there isn't much difference, or at least not enough to make up for the higher cost of a Stihl chain.

2. Chisel cuts better when sharp but doesn't stay sharp as long, especially on dirty wood or if you ground the saw.

3. Semi-chisel is a compromise design that doesn't cut as well when sharp, but stays sharp longer, some reccomend it for dirty wood.

4. Whatever chain you get, you will probably be happier if you get "pro-grade" chain from a chainsaw shop or online at a place like Amick's or Baileys, not the consumer grade "anti-kickback "safety" chain" you will find at the big-box stores.

Gooserider

wendell both are quality chains but for me the Oregon is easier to hand file.

If you can only make a few cuts when a freshly sharpened chain...the chain could be too sharp or you're not adequately addressing the corners of the chain. The corners do the cutting.

A properly sharpened chain should at a minimum out last a tank of fuel if it's only cutting wood...and possibly 4 or more tanks of fuel.

To answer the two previous questions. I use a Dremel to file the chain and was getting too much hook but took it to a friend with a grinder and got it all back to the way it should be, including filing down the rakers. Cutting the first log, about 22" with an 18" bar, it went through the first half like a hot knife through butter but then slowed way down. Although I am very careful using the Dremel, I wonder if I have overheated it at some point.

Learning to hand file would be a much better option than using a dremel tool. If you overheat the tooth, you have taken the hardness out of it and it will never hold an edge until it is filed past the damaged section. Bailey's has some good chain in Woodland Pro. Or if you want to pony up the money, go get a couple loops of RSC at a Stihl dealer. Make sure you specify .325 if you go to a dealer because there is also 3/8 RSC.

If you heat it up too much with a grinder or the Dremel (I like the Dremel too), then you will F up the temper of the steel and it will dull very quickly. I actually sharpen by hand most often, and swap to the Dremel when the chain starts getting damaged with rocks etc. Go around twice, hitting each tooth just a bit each pass to avoid heating if you must.

Touch up the rakers every 3-4 sharpens (I touch up after every 1-2 tanks, depending on what I'm cutting).

Consensus seems to be that Stihl is the best chain for staying sharp.

What's RSC?

wendell said:
What's RSC?

Stihl "Rapid Super Comfort" - minimum vibration chain. I run this chain now on both of my Stihl saws...Farm Boss 041 and 032. I buy them for $17.10 each plus tax at a local dealer in southern Wisconsin.

Jackpine

not much experience sharpening
whats a raker ?

See pic.

Attachments

• raker.jpg
    raker.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 319
thanks for the pic there LL
thats standard procedure to take those rakers down as well ?
how far do you take them down ?

that explains why i have a pretty sharp chain that wont cut ?
been sharpened a few times
couldnt figure that one out
thanks for the education
rn

rustynut said:
that explains why i have a pretty sharp chain that wont cut ?
been sharpened a few times
couldnt figure that one out
thanks for the education
rn

I got this whole education last year, except it wasn't free like you're getting on here. I bought the wrong chain and killed my bar. It was expensive but man oh man my little 345 cut like crazy until the nose sprocket seized.

Status
Not open for further replies.