Chain saw prices... negotiable?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 5, 2007
South Coast, MA
I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Husqvarna... either 450 or 445, priced $325 and $299. I've read A LOT in forums lately on buying saws etc etc and fairly often I've read about dealers giving a "good deal" on a new saw. So I'm wondering when I see the price tag on a new saw is that price negotiable? I've been to my dealer twice this week, asking questions etc. I guess next time I go I'll ask about the prices. But thought I'd try to get some feedback here first.

Thanks

Cant say about husky saws, but when I was looking at Stihls more than one dealer told me the companies sets the prices and they couldn't go lower. I thought that was BS. Sold my Stihls and bought Dolmars.

Shipper

Around me there are 4 Stihl dealers. One is the price that they have on the website, the other is $5 more on every saw, the other dealer has the saws priced like the website, BUT that is the powerhead only, you still have to buy the bar and chain. The dealer I go to sells you a saw for whatever size bar you want, but charges you for the next size smaller bar, along with extra bars and chains for cost.

Try www.wisesales.com and also look on E-bay -- they have a store there also. I bought a 455E last year --3 chains,18" bar,tooless chain adjust(nice),free shipping(quick),no tax--all for $359 or $369. No problems with saw.

ClydesdaleBurner said:
I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Husqvarna... either 450 or 445, priced $325 and $299. I've read A LOT in forums lately on buying saws etc etc and fairly often I've read about dealers giving a "good deal" on a new saw. So I'm wondering when I see the price tag on a new saw is that price negotiable? I've been to my dealer twice this week, asking questions etc. I guess next time I go I'll ask about the prices. But thought I'd try to get some feedback here first.

Thanks

No harm asking in my opinion.

See what he'll throw into the deal? A couple of extra chains? Safety gloves? Half off a pair of chaps? I've noticed most of the shops here locally like to deal in that fashion for some reason.... Especially the free chains bit.....

I bought a Stihl from a local dealer and they move enough saws that they give a break on almost all saws. Most are usually $20-40 dollars under list with free bar and chain. They upgraded my chain to an 18 for nothing extra. I'd look around and it never hurts to ask.

Probably not in that price range. Your not looking at pro saws and obviously are not a repeat customer. Maybe an extra chain or a hat or some mix. But in all likelihood, probably no break on the price. But it never hurts to ask.

BTW, and I'm not trying to sway you to another brand, but those two saws are fairly unproven new models and they've gained some weight and added more restrictive mufflers over their predicessors.

Not much give on any new saw

Stihl prices are the prices usually wherever you go, they are set by the factory. Similar set up with BOSE sound systems. What dealers will typically do is throw in some extras like have been mentioned. I have gotten free chains, free oil, a free case etc.

Shop for who will give you the best and/or most freebies:)

There are 340, 345, and 350 Huskys on Ebay right now and some of them show very little signs of use. I'd get bidding on one of those. You'll pay less than a new one and have a better saw. If it doesn't run right you take it to your Husky dealer, explain he couldn't find you one so you bought a used one, and you need it fixed. Even with a small tune-up bill you're way ahead.

But to answer your question, they don't dicker much on the small saws. Try to get a spare chain or two thrown in, or some 2 cycle oil. I would make sure you call around to compare prices, though. I'm headed for a 359 or 346XP soon and the 3 closest dealers vary by $70 on either saw.

Good luck!

Only drawback to those ebay saws is that they are Huskies :)
Why settle for the bridesmade when you can get the bride?

MainiacPD - I did see the deals they have on Ebay... I was not sure about dealer support if I bought the saw on Ebay. But you make a good point. Since the dealers don't have any 3 series left I could get on on Ebay for around $200.

I'll be watching Ebay and see what pops up.

Thanks

I just called two local dealers and they are out of the 340, 345, or 350 models. I was just at one of them a few weeks ago and they had a 340 left. I guess Ebay will be your best bet.

Again, good luck!

Paul

Talk with your local dealers and offer Cash for a discount. Dealers in my experience are more willing to deal with you flash a wad of cash and make a direct offer. They may not make as much but they don't pay any fees for a cash sale.

I'm not real sure why you want the outboard clutch but to each his own.

Be careful on ebay. Check the sellers rep and if they don't regularly sell saws and have good rep for it, maybe look elsewhere. A lot of horror stories about misrepresented saws.

NNYorker said:
Try www.wisesales.com and also look on E-bay -- they have a store there also. I bought a 455E last year --3 chains,18" bar,tooless chain adjust(nice),free shipping(quick),no tax--all for $359 or $369. No problems with saw.

Way to support your local dealer.

To the OP, talk to the folks at the store. Don't be shy - they appreciate your business - and if not, let them know why you are walking out the door. Ask them if they can work with you a bit if you grab an extra chain or two - maybe they will throw one in or just give you 10% off the entire purchase...and cash carries weight in some shops.

I buy used equipment now and again from my local shop. When it comes to buying new stuff, like the 353 i bought recently, I don't fret over the price too much as I know they are not making huge margins. If you are planning on doing this stuff for a long time, remember that you are both building a relationship here. My guys sharpen my chains for me and i often enough drop them on Sat morning and pick them up in the afternoon - except when they are very busy.

The outboard clutch is not a big deal unless you're swapping chains often or you need to change the rim sprocket and even then it's just a nuisance. My 346XP NE has an outboard clutch but it's considered one of if not the best 50cc saws out there.

My 372 has the inboard clutch and it is easier to deal with, but other than swapping chains I haven't noticed a difference.

CTwoodburner said:
NNYorker said:

Way to support your local dealer.

To the OP, talk to the folks at the store. Don't be shy - they appreciate your business - and if not, let them know why you are walking out the door. Ask them if they can work with you a bit if you grab an extra chain or two - maybe they will throw one in or just give you 10% off the entire purchase...and cash carries weight in some shops.

I buy used equipment now and again from my local shop. When it comes to buying new stuff, like the 353 i bought recently, I don't fret over the price too much as I know they are not making huge margins. If you are planning on doing this stuff for a long time, remember that you are both building a relationship here. My guys sharpen my chains for me and i often enough drop them on Sat morning and pick them up in the afternoon - except when they are very busy.

Way to start controversy---I walked into my local dealer and was quoted a price over the listed price attached to the saw. This was just a suggestion --to each his own...........

Status
Not open for further replies.