Chain Saw Suggestions???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pmurchie

Oct 8, 2010
Northeast Ohio
I am looking to purchase a chainsaw and this time I think I will get a good quality one instead of the disposable 150.00 ones.

Any suggestions, I use it mainly to cut slabwood 8-10 cords a year and would like the bar length to be at least 20" with 24" being even better.

20-24 inch bar I would look at the stihl 361 and 441 and the husky 372.

20" bar = 60cc saw at a minimum.

Stihl MS361/362/441/460 (lesser saws MS311/391)
Husqvarna 357XP, 359, 372XP, 576XP
Jonsered 2171 (essentially a red 372XP)
Dolmar 6400 (Makita 6401), 7900

If you regularly run a 24" bar, look to a 70+cc saw (MS441, 372/2171/576XP, 7900)

Just bought a 372xp, love it. Goes with my 55. Unless you have really large trees, the 20" works well. But it's like Ford or Chevy, both are great. Be safe.
Ed

pmurchie said:
I use it mainly to cut slabwood 8-10 cords a year and would like the bar length to be at least 20" with 24" being even better.

Just curious... why such a long bar to cut slab wood? If you can get by with an 18" bar, the Husky 346XP (3.7HP) is $489 and seems to be the darling saw at the moment. A screaming little pro saw that should give you years of trouble free use if you take care of it. I really like my Husky 357XP (4.4HP), but that's an extra $200 over the 346. I have a 20" bar that came with mine but I think I like the 18" bar I bought for it better. Seems to rev faster.

kah68 said:
Any Pro saw will last you for years, maybe look for a low hr used pro, same price as a new home owner....

My saw was used and I got a super deal on it. Used but not abused is definitely an option. Nothing like a brand new tool, though.

Do you need the larger bar or do you think that is what you want? I (only) have 16" bars on my saws and they both serve me well. Mind you I'm dropping, limbing, and bucking mature trees with them. I feel the shorter bar gives me a little more control and it results in a lighter saw, which reduces fatigue. I'm in the 6 - 8 cords range as well. The Husky 235e is definitely NOT the saw for this task. The 353e was about $400 and does a decent job; can't find it listed on the Husky USA website though have seen it on the Canadian one. Perhaps the dealer got it since Maine is so close. Regarding dealers, folks near me tend to buy brand X over brand Y based more on which dealer provides better support and service than anything else; you should be able to similar features at similar prices across several brands.

Blatant commercial message in sig line... :)

kah68 said:
Any Pro saw will last you for years, maybe look for a low hr used pro, same price as a new home owner....

I agree! I'm definitely a big fan of buying used! I scored my Husky 55 Rancher off of Craigslist for $150 with an 18" bar and 3 new chains, and I scored my Stihl 440 Magnum with a 32" bar and 2 chains for only $200!! If you search around here (or google it) you can find several "used chainsaw buying guides" that tell you what to look for so you don't get a worn out saw.

Good luck!

NP

First, How big a tree will you be cutting on average? If you are jumping up from a $150 poulan, odds are, you arent cutting very large rounds. So the question of how big do you really need remains....

If you cut mostly under 20" stuff, I would go with an 18" bar and a nice 50cc saw. An 18" bar on a saw that can handle a 20 or 24 will just flat out scream! I just bought a 346xp 18" bar and I honestly couldnt be happier. For what I do, it is the perfect size saw. Unless you are cutting BIG hardwood (24" and up), you arent going to want to lug a 70cc saw around all day. You are looking at a 1-3lb difference between a 50cc and 70cc, depending on the mfg. Doesnt seem like much but carry a 2 lb weight around all day in one hand and nothing in the other, see which one gets tired first.

Homeowner vs. Pro: Personally, I wont suggest a homeowner grade saw unless your budget forces it. Just not worth it IMHO. Most homeowner grade saws (even stihls and huskys) range from $300-$425 ish. For $50-$150 more, you can have a 50 or 60 cc pro saw. Especially if you are cutting 8-10 cords/year. You'll wear a cheap saw out in no time.

Just my .02

I have the Stihl 390 and it easily handle a 20 inch bar and go 24 inch problem. Quite a bit less than the pro model with pro features and 59 ccs. I saw a used one for $325 on craiglist in pittsburgh that I would have bought in a heart beat but I already have one. It might be worth the drive.

Battenkiller said:
pmurchie said:
I use it mainly to cut slabwood 8-10 cords a year and would like the bar length to be at least 20" with 24" being even better.

Just curious... why such a long bar to cut slab wood? If you can get by with an 18" bar, the Husky 346XP (3.7HP) is $489 and seems to be the darling saw at the moment. A screaming little pro saw that should give you years of trouble free use if you take care of it. I really like my Husky 357XP (4.4HP), but that's an extra $200 over the 346. I have a 20" bar that came with mine but I think I like the 18" bar I bought for it better. Seems to rev faster.

I was thinking the same thing . . . if you're only cutting slab wood a 50 cc saw with an 18 inch bar should do you fine . . . heck I cut 4-6 cords of cord wood and that's all I ever need . . . although I am thinking about going up a bit on the engine size for my next saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.