Chain saw tune..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay H

Nov 20, 2006
NJ
I've close to have bucked up about 3-4 cords of mixed wood with my Husky 359 which was purchased new (internet). I was curious, if the costs of a tune up vrs the cost of a tachometer is similar? I am aware of the link to Madsens with the .wav files to DIY, but I am not confident of myself yet. Seeing that the cost of a tachometer seems to be about $85 for the one I saw at Amicks, I'm curious how much would a chainsaw shop cost to do it and what would be included in it? I can and have cleaned my air filter before and haven't had to touch the spark plug yet. I would think for $85, a tach would seem to not be too costly vrs having a shop professionally do it. I figure it's about time for my initial tuneup from the factory...

Jay

I think you can get a tack on ebay alot cheepier. I do it by ear and can even hear another saw out of tune when running my 460 weard but once you have it you have it

Jay, you are not yet confident so why not just take it to a shop and you know that it will be done right? It will also give you peace of mind.

I am sure I can adjust the Idle and the Lo jets, it's just the high one that I can. I got an email from the "local" Husky shop (about 20 miles away one-way) and they said anywhere from 60-$100 for a tune. Since this is a new saw, I don't think they should have to do anything other than adjust the carb. I meant he spark plug and air filter are fine, clutch still looks new, etc. etc.

Jay

I would learn to do it, or at least try and hear them do it so you can do next time.
carb adjustments are routine and it is helpful to be able to do it as necessary, not once a year by the shop. Also, by knowing the sounds, you know when something is not right (e.g. air leaks) that could destroy it later on. It is part of being connected to the machine you are operating. The difference between a good operator and a simple driver.
I don't mind paying someone who is good, if it saves me time or a skill I don't have. It is just really tough to find good skilled people who give a rats about the job they are doing.

Maybe someone here, or on arboristsite, lives closeenough to help you.
Madsens has tuning info page and a video with sounds of a saw lean and rich.

http://www.madsens1.com/saw carb tune.htm

This will get you close. Then just err on the rich side.

plug, filter, fuel filter, check/replace the lines for air leaks, etc you can do all yourself.
cleaning, lube the clutch bearing, cleaning bar groove, etc.

kcj

Backwoods Savage said:
Jay, you are not yet confident so why not just take it to a shop and you know that it will be done right? It will also give you peace of mind.

Give a man a fish or teach a man to fish.

mayhem said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Give a man a fish or teach a man to fish.
thats what i say not that hard to pick up on

Status
Not open for further replies.