Chain Saws?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlipThatLog

Feb 13, 2009
Southern NH
What do folks think of their chain saws? This is probably on par with asking folks about their favorite sport team, or the like, but I'll risk the fallout.

I currently have an big-box bought electric with an 18" bar, which during our last big NH ice storm in Dec 2008, no big surprise, was useless - a boat anchor on a dry stream bed. It's also old, bulky, badly balanced, and I've replaced the chain twice. And frankly I've grown weary of dragging the required power cord across snow banks. I'm overdue to get a real chainsaw.

I looked briefly at Poulan vs Husqvarna at a big box store. The Husqvarna 18" was nicely balanced, but the engineer in me said (with apologies to Husqvarna fans) "this feels cheaply made". I was wondering how Stihl and Dolmar compare? We have a good Stihl dealer nearby, if tells you how I'm leaning... ...but I have no evidence that their product is any better. So folks, what's your $0.02?

Thanks as always...

Best,
--- Mike

Sorry, I should have added - I won't buy this chainsaw, whatever the brand at a big box store. I'll choose a reputable, local dealer. I realized what I saw at a BB store may not be what Husqvarna sells everywhere.
BTW I'm an occasional lumber jack - I don't do this for a living and probably won't cut my entire 2 cords up. And don't anticipate needing any more than a 18" or at most 20" bar for the trees I'll handle.

--Mike

Option 1. Get a generator to power that electric chainsaw (fridge, furnace and sump pump too!!!) and some better chain for it.

Option 2. If you are interested in Husqvarna saws that don't feel cheap and yet don't break the bank, check out the 353. Its a prosumer saw. Not quite a pro saw, but with many of the pro features. Should last 20+ years with your current usage.

Option 3. If you don't mind going to an "off brand" check out the John Deere CS62 on ebay (for example http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220367897082). They are made by Efco which doesn't have quite the support of Husqvarna and Stihl, but isn't an unknown brand.

Stick with the better grades of Husqvarna, Stihl, or Dolmar and you will be fine (listed in no special order). Husqvarna produces a low end saw for the box stores that is not in league with the rest of their line, so you can forget what you saw when it comes to shopping for a higher grade. Generally speaking the mid-grade to pro-grade with any of these will compare very well to each other, with pro's and con's to each. Folks get brand happy like car owners (think Ford vs Chevy), but as a pro user that has had ample opportunity to run many saws from each of these makes (mostly pro-grade), I can honestly say that they all have merits. Some of the other makers also produce good homeowner level saws, but as I lack experience with them I cant comment. I can say that with the big three, if you avoid the brand hype and buy the highest grade you can afford you will likely be happy.

One last comment about brand: Let the dealers who are close to you and that have a good reputation make that selection. If the best local shop happens to be a Dolmar dealer then go Dolmar. If the shop sells multiple brands then you have the best of all worlds, and can take the time to select the saw that has the features that suit you. If you are comparing saws from two different brands, be sure that they are like grades.

KarlP said:
Option 1. Get a generator to power that electric chainsaw (fridge, furnace and sump pump too!!!) and some better chain for it.

Option 2. If you are interested in Husqvarna saws that don't feel cheap and yet don't break the bank, check out the 353. Its a prosumer saw. Not quite a pro saw, but with many of the pro features. Should last 20+ years with your current usage.

Option 3. If you don't mind going to an "off brand" check out the John Deere CS62 on ebay (for example http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220367897082). They are made by Efco which doesn't have quite the support of Husqvarna and Stihl, but isn't an unknown brand.

Thanks for your advice. I'll look at both your Husqvarna 353 and John Deere recommendations.

---Mike

PS I had considered Option 1, but as I told a friend that offered to have me cut up some downed trees on his property from our last Dec 2008 ice storm - I'd have to drag my new generator through the snow to his trees, located quite a distance from the road. Probably not a good option. ;-)

Sealcove said:
Stick with the better grades of Husqvarna, Stihl, or Dolmar and you will be fine (listed in no special order). Husqvarna produces a low end saw for the box stores that is not in league with the rest of their line, so you can forget what you saw when it comes to shopping for a higher grade. Generally speaking the mid-grade to pro-grade with any of these will compare very well to each other, with pro's and con's to each. Folks get brand happy like car owners (think Ford vs Chevy), but as a pro user that has had ample opportunity to run many saws from each of these makes (mostly pro-grade), I can honestly say that they all have merits. Some of the other makers also produce good homeowner level saws, but as I lack experience with them I cant comment. I can say that with the big three, if you avoid the brand hype and buy the highest grade you can afford you will likely be happy.

One last comment about brand: Let the dealers who are close to you and that have a good reputation make that selection. If the best local shop happens to be a Dolmar dealer then go Dolmar. If the shop sells multiple brands then you have the best of all worlds, and can take the time to select the saw that has the features that suit you. If you are comparing saws from two different brands, be sure that they are like grades.

Thanks for your advice. I wondered if the BB version of the Husqvarna wasn't representative of their entire line. Good ideas all.

--Mike

NHLogBurner said:
I wondered if the BB version of the Husqvarna wasn't representative of their entire line.

No question that it isn't representative; night and day in many respects. I am sure this bottom line must make the company money or they wouldn't do it, but I wonder how many people have bad experiences with some of those saws and get turned off completely on the brand.

You didn't say how much $ you were thinking of spending.
If I wanted an occasional use saw that I didn't have to depend on I'd look at the John Deere closeouts or the Ryobi 10532.
I may get one of these for a backup saw. http://www.toolsnow.com/browse.cfm/4,510.htm
If you're of the opinion "You'll never regret buying the best." and have the $ available then dig out $400-600 and get a pro saw from a dealer. I don't see much point to getting something in between. JMHO.
You might could find a used pro saw for a price in the middle somewhere.

Whatever you get make sure you get a good fast cutting chain. Keep it sharp and out of the dirt and you'll be happy. I don't think I'll ever use anything but the yellow labeled Stihl chains (RSC I think) because I love the way they cut.

NHLogBurner said:
Sorry, I should have added - I won't buy this chainsaw, whatever the brand at a big box store. I'll choose a reputable, local dealer. I realized what I saw at a BB store may not be what Husqvarna sells everywhere.
BTW I'm an occasional lumber jack - I don't do this for a living and probably won't cut my entire 2 cords up. And don't anticipate needing any more than a 18" or at most 20" bar for the trees I'll handle.

--Mike

If you are only looking at cutting 2 cords....or even 2 cords per year, buy the saw at the BB store and you will be fine, and save the extra $$ to buy more wood.
I would love a pro saw....but just don't see the sense if you are only cutting 2 cords/less per year.

I have to agree on the local dealer comments. Stihl, Dolmar and Husqvarna all make quality saws with pros and cons to each of them. FWIW I just picked up a Dolmar 6400 because I wanted a saw that would last a long time and deliver about 10 cords a year cut and bucked. My 42cc Poulan just wasn't cutting the mustard and was taking way too long.

For only 2 cords a year, you don't need a lot of power. I'd find a good local dealer, explain what you're looking for and let them help you select a quality saw with the right amount of power to get your job done. No use paying for a lot of extra CCs and longer bar you'll never use...

For all intents and purposes, the Big Box / homeowner grade Huskies are Poulan's in drag... Remember that they are the same company. The pro-grade Huskies are a different question, they don't have Poulan equivalents.

That said I agree with the previous statements pretty much. If you are cutting only a cord or two per year, a homeowner grade saw will work for you. However wood cutting is addictive, and needs change - I was happy with my Pull-on when I bought it, as a "storm clearing" tool. It wasn't until I started heating more with wood, and cutting a lot more that I ran into it's severe limitations.

Thus I would also agree with those who say that if you can afford it, a pro-grade or at least a semi-pro saw will keep you a lot happier. I happen to be a Dolmar fan because I think that if you find the right dealer, (which was far easier before Dolmar tried to stop distance selling) you can get more saw for the dollar with them than with Husky or Stihl... If I were suggesting a saw for a single saw plan, I'd probably tend to reccomend the Dolmar 5100, but there are lots of other good saws out there.

Gooserider

Just another idea here I have bought many used stihl chainsaw ........ If you have a reputable dealer around stop in and see what he has in the back used . You be surprised 5 saws that I own now I bought used and all looked like they never cut more than a tank of gas through them before I bought them and they save me some big dollars . here are some of the bargains I have gotten both of my 180,s were 100 and 115 bucks my 250 easy start with a case and extra chain was 237 bucks was never run guy won it on a raffle my 260 pro was owned by a older guy who lived in a city wanted something for some tree trimming in his yard , dealer said he doubted 2 tanks of gas were through it i believe it that saw cost me 400 and my 360 was brand new sitting on the dealers shelf for 3 years I got that for 300 so there you have it .

A friend just downed a very large and dead ash in my yard. He and others who know, estimate 2.5 to 3 cords of good wood in the tree.

I will do most of the bucking and splitting by myself so I need a chainsaw and splitter. I don't mind working alone in this situation because I will always be in full view of the whole world as they drive by. I did a lot of tree clearing with a Stihl 031 or 036(?) about 40 years ago but have not done much cutting since then. My first new saw will be the Stihl MS 250 C-BE with 16" bar. Because I am now preparing for the installation of a new wood stove, I will probably do a lot more cutting and splitting in the future. If the MS 250 is inadequate for the task of production I will purchase a Stihl MS361 with 18" bar. That will be the most saw I will ever need. I am sticking with Stihl not because of brand loyalty but because my local dealer is very trustworthy and is now having a 10% off sale and he recommended the MS 250. Actually, I would like to try a Dolmar but my nearest dealer is about 2 hours away.

I will reiterate the "I wouldn't buy a chainsaw from a boxstore" my reason is that these are cheaped down versions of the normal name brand Like "husky" and others. Spend a little extra and buy from a dealer the service and assistance will be well worth it. For me I just got a Stihl ms 361 and its the balls.

drdoct said:
Whatever you get make sure you get a good fast cutting chain. Keep it sharp and out of the dirt and you'll be happy. I don't think I'll ever use anything but the yellow labeled Stihl chains (RSC I think) because I love the way they cut.

Advise I agree with.

BTW, I have a Stihl 361 (20" bar) and couldn't be happier with it.

I have a Stihl 026 and an 034. I love my 034 like my first born son, but my 026 is a piece of junk. It has maybe half the power of my 034.

If you have about $400 in the budget, I would take a look at a Dolmar PS 5100 S. With an 18 or 20 Inch bar you would Have an excellent start.

Be careful, chainsaws are addictive and you will probably want more than 1.

Whatever saw you choose, get a good chain (Stihl RSC, or Oregon LGX)

Get a saw that takes .050 .375 chain as this is the most popular, and seems to be much cheaper than the .325 and makes a big diff in the cut.

Someone posted earlier about the Efco/ John Deere Saws. I have heard that Deere has an agreement to start selling Stihl in their dealerships.

If you shop around some of the John Deere dealers are closing them out real cheap.

It may be worth your time to call around and see if you can pick one up for a good deal.

Mobetter I dont think I would be too sure about .375 being better or cheaper than .325 chain . I have tried these two on several different saws 026 ms 360 and a ms 440 and yes you can put a .325 chain on a MS 440 , On the 360 or 361 440 or 460 you run a 9 tooth sprocket and its just so you can get the bar on it runs that close . I kind of like to tinker a bit to see how fast of cuts I can get and most of what I cut is green wood either white ash or soft maple . I can tell you for sure a 360 with a .325 chain will bury the same saw with a .375 chain for bucking any day of the week , but for cutting down i prefer the 3/8 chain as with the wider cut there seems to be less pinching , more room incase you need to wedge the tree and the cut is a little slower .

As per a much earlier post, I have a Husky 353 with 18" bar and love it. I only do a few cords a year, plus cut a few trees down for friends and neighbours, but I love it because it has great power-to-weight ratio, is fairly light and starts in 2 pulls every time (1 burp then one start) - that said it never snows where I am :) A couple of times I have needed a bigger bar, but it's rare I need to cut down a tree bigger than 3 foot diameter.

I so concur with the comment about sharp chains as well - I have an old bar and chain I use on dirty wood / stumps / possible nails or fence wire in trunks etc, and a new bar and chain, and every time I sharpen either or swap to the sharp one I am amazed at how much better the saw cuts. I carry a file with me and touch up the chain in the field after every couple of tanks of fuel, makes a real difference.

NH Log, Not sure where you are but there is a Stihl Dealer in East Derry that is awesome, you can ask all the questions that you want and he will give you the straight skinny.

There is a Husqvarna dealer in Manchester and also Bensons in Derry, I would go to Manch. They are pretty good up there.

There is a Dolmar dealer in Auburn, nice guy but I have found better prices from other dealers willing to ship to me.

And there is a J-red dealer in Chester, never dealt with him but he is there.

Anyone of the big names will serve you well, they all have their following and are good products. I would stay away from the BB stores and go to a dealer for support later down the road.

I am also still cleaning up from the ice storm, the more snow that melts the more cleaning I have to do!

HTH, let me know if you need any more info.

If your only cutting two cord or under a year for around 289.00 you can get a husky 345 its a nice light good little saw you won't be disappointed. And there's plenty of husky dealers around.........There's a reason their the

most popular saw. I have had great luck with all my Husky products which include: 576xp, 346xp, 266se, 257 air induction, 22/48 garden tractor w/kawi motor, 326e-tech weed whacker, counter rotating rotor tiller, 11hp30"

snow blower, 6.5 hp push mower. That's my personal stuff. When we were in business we had all husky demo saws,chain saws etc.

Point being husky makes some real good tools.

But I will say being in the mainline sewer and water business no one makes a better demo/cut off saw to work in or out of the hole than Stihl the ts400 is just the best well balanced, great air filter configuration etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.