1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Chain sharpening service?

Post in 'The Gear' started by Devin86, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Devin86

Devin86 New Member

Loc:
    Shinnston, WV
    Anyone on here offer chain sharpening need 5 chains sharpened/ straightened out and rakers taken down till I get my grinder ordered and setup. I saw on e-bay someone offered a service only one local guy and he will not touch rakers and wants $12 a chain. If someone could lead me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. blades

blades Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI, Milw
    PM sent
  3. albert1029

albert1029 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southwestern PA
    you probably already know about round file and guide and flat file for the rakers....I find it works great and finally brought rakers down with good results, just took it easy on them...
    TreePointer likes this.
  4. Stephen in SoKY

Stephen in SoKY Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southern Kentucky
    $12......that's 2.5 times what I charge. In WV there nearly has to be a saw shop nearby that would grind them for you.
    smokinj likes this.
  5. jeffesonm

jeffesonm Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    central NJ
    If you have a Dremel you can get the kit off amazon for like $15 shipped and grind your own... I had zero experience and was able to figure it out pretty easily.
  6. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    I charge 5.00 for anything 20inch and under. For some reason the guys with bigger bars don't show up. ;) Unless its an Ice storm and the line guys have drop off over 20 chains at a clip.
  7. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    $12/chain is robbery for anything under a 36" loop of full comp chain.
    smokinj likes this.
  8. Paulywalnut

Paulywalnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    I agree. My local saw shop charges 10.00. 12.00 for my carbide .
  9. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    $10 is high!! I'm pretty good with my grinder and a flat file. I would charge $5 as well. A shop in my opinion should not be more than $7.
    smokinj likes this.
  10. Stephen in SoKY

Stephen in SoKY Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southern Kentucky
    I just gave up and went to $5/chain. I grind a small logging operation exclusively and a tree service when they get behind grinding themselves. I cut the logger a deal to keep his business & the tree service always brings enough short pole saw chains to balance out. IIRC, the saw shops are at $7 under 20" and $8 over 20". They don't grind themselves anymore, rather they have a guy like me pick up dull/drop off sharp once weekly. The fact they keep chains a week does bring me business. I assume the guy is getting around $4-6 and the shop is keeping the rest so I'm pretty much in line with my area.

ETA: I never touch a raker. Neither customer wants to pay the extra $1 I'd charge to fool with it.
  11. albert1029

albert1029 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southwestern PA
    I'm curious to know how often the rakers you see actually need lowered...I sharpened my own chains for a while before I realized even a little off when they need it makes a difference....
  12. blades

blades Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI, Milw
    Hey Devin you ever get your grinder up and running?
  13. captjack

captjack Member

Loc:
    Eastern Shore of MD
    Look at the pferd files and sharpening system at Bailys. I used one the other day and its amazingly easy It takes down the rakers and files cutters at the same time. If your going to be using a saw at all you need to learn how to file chain. Just practice
  14. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    Every 3 sharpenings or so hit the rakers.