1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Chain sharpening

Post in 'The Gear' started by karl, May 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karl

karl Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Huntington, West Virginia
    A few months ago somebody posted a link to a .pdf file on how to sharpen a chain. I think it was put out by a saw manufacturer. I thought I saved it on the computer and now I can't find it. I tried searching on here and had no luck as well.

Can somebody repost the link. Or link to a good site?

thank you

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ChrisN

ChrisN Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeastern, Ct
    Hi Karl, I've found that chain sharpening is really pretty easy. The best way to learn is just to do it a few times and you will be amazed at how easy it is to keep your chain in good shape as long as you aren't abusing it too much on rocks / dirt / etc. I bought one of those combination chain sharpening files, a round file for the tooth and a flat file for the raker both held in a holder with a handle. You can pick those chain sharpeners up at any dealer or at big box stores for $10 to $15. I hit each tooth with 3 or 4 strokes after each tank of gas and have been very happy with the chain performance. If you do a forum search there have been several threads on chain sharpening, but as I said, I think the best thing for you to do is get a good file kit and go for it.
  3. Jay H

Jay H New Member

Loc:
    NJ
    Check out the "gear" forum which probably has more threads about chain sharpening and all that good stuff...

Jay
  4. mpapuga

mpapuga Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.