1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Chain Speed on Different Bars

Post in 'The Gear' started by firecracker_77, Aug 25, 2013.

1. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

67cc IIRC? Echo uses the first 2 numbers to indicate cc (size). CS 500 (50cc)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Yep. I change it weekly or bi weekly. Soaks up oil and when its dirty, I pull it up and slap staple a new piece down. :) Easy peasy
  3. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    But how do you keep geese off the bench carpet? I have a few tools and the half the time stay in the box then they will get taken out for a project and set somewhere where they stay forever. Wife got me tool cart a few years ago and tools will live in it for weeks at a time. That's why I pick up that .99 set of screw drivers every few trips to HF . So I have them for all over the place.
    firecracker_77 likes this.
  4. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    I like that carpet idea. No cleaning involved.

I've been using a workbench mat the past couple years:
    http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/80170/10002/-1

They come with a variety of brand names from different vendors. And yes, the John Deere model is always a little more expensive.
  5. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    Technically, yes, because your chain is traveling 1/2 the distance at the same speed. But in this case "double the RPM" does not mean "double the chain speed" so you will not tear through logs any faster.
  6. firecracker_77

firecracker_77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NWI office - 2 Heritages; Chicago home - Woodstock
    I think a trip to HF is in my near future.
  7. TMonter

TMonter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hayden, ID
    A shorter bar can give you more cutting power though. Less chain to drag is less friction and can be faster.
  8. shawn6596

shawn6596 New Member

going to a skip tooth chain will also make a saw feel more powerful. less teeth to haul through means less drag more speed. Be aware they tend to stretch more.