1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Chains for wet lawn traction?

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by begreen, Apr 29, 2013.

1. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    I used to mow a yard for a guy using his tractor. It had a very steep hill. The riding tractor (can't remember what it was, but a typical low-end riding *lawn* tractor) was outfitted with rear chain. It worked great. Didn't scuff up the yard and really helped out with traction. The only negative was it left marks on the blacktop driveway when it got really hot. The chains stays on year-round.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ironpony

ironpony Minister of Fire

Loc:
    mid-ohio via St.Croix USVI
    ran them for years, made a huge difference
    then put the pavers in the driveway and court yard, wife said no more chains they mark the pavers
    cant get the tractor out without driving on some pavers, so chains are now in storage and everyones happy
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Oh yeah! Chains are on the mower and I tried them out tonight. Wow, what a difference! It's a little tractor now! I'll need to change my mowing style, can't depend on slippage for starts. This thing bites in and goes. No damage to the grass that I can see. We have tough grass out here.
    heat seeker likes this.
  4. woodsman23

woodsman23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    western southern tier of NYS
    ag's all the way
  5. nate379

nate379 Guest

The ags are pretty rough on the yard though. Had a 4 wheeler with ag tires and it would leave divots all over the yard, especially if it was wet..

6. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Sounds like a fragile lawn. Is it shallow rooted and on permafrost or close to it?

My son asked why I was mowing so late last night. I told him about the chains and how I was trying them out in all the tough places in the yard. "Oh, so you were joy riding on the mower, eh?" he responded. Yep.
    MasterMech likes this.