Chainsaw advice needed before I lose a limb (no pun intended)!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"OR" one can spend the money now and buy a quality grade chainsaw that will last many years if not a lifetime for 4-6 cord a year firewood cutters and not have to buy the occasional use chainsaw over and over again.

I've always pushed the issue that the cheaper tool is now always less $$. Most of the time the cheap low $$ tool is going to cost more in a 15 year span then a quality grade tool. Unfortunately it has to be a hard lesson learned before a lot of folks figure it out.

my .02

Roospike said:
"OR" one can spend the money now and buy a quality grade chainsaw that will last many years if not a lifetime for 4-6 cord a year firewood cutters and not have to buy the occasional use chainsaw over and over again.

I've always pushed the issue that the cheaper tool is now always less $$. Most of the time the cheap low $$ tool is going to cost more in a 15 year span then a quality grade tool. Unfortunately it has to be a hard lesson learned before a lot of folks figure it out.

my .02

I tend to agree Roospike, and I'm not afraid to spend what I have to in order to get a reasonable quality tool. However I also see a need to balance how much one intends to use a tool with what it's worth to spend on it. When I purchased the Poulan, I was not doing significant burning, and wasn't really planning to. The intent was pretty well matched to what the saw is - something for occasional use in a suburban yard that has lots of trees. Maybe an occasional drop, cutting up or trimming branches and other light use. Maybe one or two tanks of gas a year. It wasn't worth getting a fancy saw.

Since I've started burning, I probably used that saw as much or more this past summer than I had anticipated doing in five or six YEARS. (This year alone I think I used three or four gallons of gas, and I'm on my third gallon of chain oil for the life of the saw)
Now that I'm burning, I will probably look at getting a much better grade saw the next time I go to upgrade. (Will check out the reviews more first, but it looks like Stihl or Echo is the way to go from what I've seen so far...)

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
Roospike said:

my .02

I tend to agree Roospike, and I'm not afraid to spend what I have to in order to get a reasonable quality tool. However I also see a need to balance how much one intends to use a tool with what it's worth to spend on it. When I purchased the Poulan, I was not doing significant burning, and wasn't really planning to. The intent was pretty well matched to what the saw is - something for occasional use in a suburban yard that has lots of trees. Maybe an occasional drop, cutting up or trimming branches and other light use. Maybe one or two tanks of gas a year. It wasn't worth getting a fancy saw.

Since I've started burning, I probably used that saw as much or more this past summer than I had anticipated doing in five or six YEARS. (This year alone I think I used three or four gallons of gas, and I'm on my third gallon of chain oil for the life of the saw)
Now that I'm burning, I will probably look at getting a much better grade saw the next time I go to upgrade. (Will check out the reviews more first, but it looks like Stihl or Echo is the way to go from what I've seen so far...)

Gooserider

I agree , I started off with a Craftsman 38cc chainsaw myself to cut trees and limbs around the house and some wood. Got serious about heating with wood and had to upgrade to the Husqvarnas i have now.

Top chainsaw brands are:
#1 Husqvarna , Stihl . ~ Top dogs
#2 Dolmar , Jonsered , Redmax . ~Good chainsaws not as pouplar or as many dealers.
#3 Echo ~ Good mid range chainsaw.
#4 Poulan / Craftsman / other name brands of the same company.

(note: Husqvarna , Jonsered , Redmax , Poulan , Craftsman are all the same "Husqvarna company" . Husqvarna /Jonsered = same saws. Husqvarna just bought Redmax so Redmax is still it own make and model chainsaw. Poulan , Craftsman and Husqvarna model 340 and down are all made per the Poulan chainsaw plant. Husqvarna model 345 and up are all made in Sweden per Husqvarna)

I have owned a Stihl .029 Farmboss with a 21" bar now for almost 20 years. It has performed flawlessly and has cut everything I have put the blade into. I always keep 4 extra blades available and change them at the first sign of dulling and it still has the original bar (I don’t grease the sprocket). I have never added stabilizer to the gas mixture and it starts up within 3 pulls every time. I use an air compressor after every use to clean the bar, sprocket and air filter. I have had a Sears and a Montgomery Wards saw and the Stihl beats both hands down. For my money, it’s Stihl…

You cant go wrong with a Sthil or Husky. They make saws for home oners that cut a few times a year all the way up to the pro saws. Parts are very easy to get because there are saw shops everywhere. I have a Husky 50 that is 20+ years old and still runs great. I also have a 266 Husky that is also 20+ years old and still runs great. 3-5 pulls and it starts every time.

Marty said:
I have an opportuinty to buy a Stihl 290 from my local tool rental shop for $200.00.

It has been rented out this summer so it has a lot of sawing in but the item woulde be treated as a new saw as my date of purchase for warentee coverage.

I would perfer a 270 or a 310 but this is whats available.

Good deal?
I ended up buying it.
Came with the manual, a bar cover, the tool, and 3 extra chains for 200+tax... the tune up the mech gave it right before he turned it over to me caused it to not hold idle... :rollseyes: ...but I was able to tweak it right again... so far no complaints... I have only used it to trim some oversized splits.

Status
Not open for further replies.