1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Chainsaw Advice please...UPDATE WITH PICS

Post in 'The Gear' started by Manitoulin Maples, Oct 19, 2011.

1. feelingasi

feelingasi Member

Loc:
    palermo ny
    heres the deal... buy the pro saw... why??? you will fall in love with whatever saw you buy. you will inevitably want to trade it in for a newer/bigger model... it will cost you less this way!!! $10 says within two years you'll want a 362, then a 460 or a 660 0r an 880 like jay. chainsaws are addicting. buy the pro and never look back!!!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ISeeDeadBTUs

ISeeDeadBTUs Guest

+1
  3. mecreature

mecreature Minister of Fire

Loc:
    indiana
    wow, that sounds like a verse out of the Bible.
  4. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    If you buy right you will not lose a penny and run the best for free. I like the stihl's because they are a very easy sell.
  5. mecreature

Loc:
    indiana
    but harder to buy, there was an 036 this morning on CL for 140 bucks. I called first thing.. Gone... Again...

I am not discouraged though.
  6. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Wow That would have been a great buy. There out there if your buying used I look at the good husky number to. I miss 2-372 for I think it was 250.00 bucks.
  7. Blue2ndaries

Blue2ndaries Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oregon
    +2
  8. Manitoulin Maples

Manitoulin Maples Member

Loc:
    Manitoulin Island, Ontario
    OK the saw sale (in Ontario) ends at the end of the month and I've been saving my pennies. I've decided to go with the MS 261 but i have one more question before i head to the dealer this week. the 261 comes with a 16 inch bar and that's what the sales guys suggests for the saw. as i said in the original post, i'd personally like an 18 inch bar and they will swap the 16 for the 18 for no additional cost...but i'm getting the strong impression they prefer selling the saw with the 16 inch bar..even though specs say it will run up to a 20". so i'm wondering who has used this saw with different bars and do you have a suggestion for which one I should buy it with? and I know I should get both with extra chains, but for the time being I can't cuz I'm stretching things financially to even buy the saw right now. thanks again and i'll update with pics when i pick the saw up!
  9. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    You will be ok with a 18 if thats what you like...I have ran 16 and 20 on the 260.
  10. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    If you want the 18, get the 18. The 260 will pull it fine. I doubt that you will notice a whole bunch of difference from the 16 to the 18" unless you have the bar buried in wood all the time.
  11. bluedogz

bluedogz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Maryland
    Play with the Easy2Start system first, I found it to be Awesome with a capital A. For my own reasons, I know little about any other differences between these saws, but the Easy2Start system made me buy a Stihl vs. any other.
  12. tamarack

tamarack New Member

Loc:
    Northwest USA
    I run a 18" bar on my MS260 and it pulls great. But I'm not cutting hardwood.
    After running a MS290 for many years, I sure like the 260 better. Those couple of pounds make a big difference when cutting in the forest all day.

Good choice on your new saw.
  13. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

+ 1 on the 18" for a 261. Will do just fine. I'm assuming this is .325 chain we're talking about?
  14. Manitoulin Maples

Manitoulin Maples Member

Loc:
    I think so, at least that's what the CDN specs say it comes with, the .325 RSC chain.

Thanks again everyone for the help with this!
  15. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Go forth with sure step and purchase thy saw!
  16. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    You'll be fine with an 18" bar

If you're going to get an extra bar I'd get a 16" & 20"
  17. Countryboy1966

Countryboy1966 Member

Loc:
    NE, Ohio
    It is not the saw you want, but I have been running an MS250 for a 4th year now. Great saw even with a 18" bar.

I think a little more HP would make it the best all around size saw so the 260 should be the best bet.
  18. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    x2
  19. Manitoulin Maples

Manitoulin Maples Member

Loc:
    Ended up getting the 16" bar as that's what was recommended by the dealer (and by Stihl) as the best match to the saw. I will get an 18" or even 20" bar in the future. For now I'll use the 16" for a bit and see how I like it. Anyways, to complete this thread...here's the pics! Thanks again for the advice, so happy to have a good saw now!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Sexy as hell.
  21. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Nice saw....now, go get it dirty.
  22. mecreature

Loc:
    indiana
    that thing must scream.
  23. Murph015

Murph015 Member

Loc:
    SW PA
    Congrats on the new saw. I have been looking at the 261 for a few weeks now deciding if I want to buy one. I have being hearing/reading lots of good things.
  24. WoodNStuff

WoodNStuff Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Central WI
    Nice pics. So, how much are you selling it for? I'm looking for a deal, so don't try to soak me. Oh...wait....you just bought this one, didn't you? Not selling it? Oh, then go get the darn thing dirty. Here I thought I might get a great saw for let's say $250 cash. LOL
  25. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Nice shiny new toy! Skip the 18" when you go back to buy a "big bar" for it and pick up a 20".