1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Chainsaw gas octane, what do you really need ??

Post in 'The Gear' started by HDRock, Jan 2, 2013.

1. bluedogz

bluedogz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Maryland
    I have had good luck using the blue Sta-bil (marine stuff.) Didn't own my Stihl long enough to say but work like a cvharm in my mowers and weedeaters.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. JustWood

JustWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    A friend of mine hauls gas/diesel for the refinery here. They have to "dip" test all station tanks for water before every fill.
    He's told me that since this area has gone to ethanol that there is little to no water in station tanks now vs. before.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  3. Butcher

Butcher Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. central Ia.
    Here in Iowa where corn is king I dont think you can find gas that dosnt have some ethonal in it, even premium at the pump unless you want to go dickin around airports buying gas. The main problem with ethonal is some folks try to keep it in storage at home in these cheap gas cans we are forced to buy anymore. All my stuff is old. Motercycles, tractors, 2 stroke stuff. I have never had a fuel related issue in anything unless the tank was empty. Everyone thinks ethonal eats up fuel lines in 2 stroke equipment. I say B.S. I'll bet I could put a chunk of fuel line in some of the highest, purest fuel you can buy and eventually it would rot the line. Could be a cheapening of mfg practices???
  4. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Book say at least 87 octane. That's our " regular " octane rating at the pump.
    no ethanol in the gas here.
    So I use regular gas. synthetic 2 cycle oil.
    I try to keep a fresh mix. mix a gallon at a time
    ( and I'm a oil bottle rinser, some gas in the bottle, shake it to get it all ;) )
  5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I was told that all gas stations in MI are now 10% ethanol, like it or not. I have not checked further on this so can not say for certain.
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    My Stihl manual says a minimum octane rating of 89. I used to always just use regular but have switched to the higher octane. I can't tell much difference in how it runs. I also use Stabil with every tank of gas.
  7. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Yup I do the same.Been using 10% ethanol in everything for around 10 yrs now,no problems of any kind with any equipment or my truck.If any of the saws arent gonna be used for 3-4 weeks,I dump the fuel back into gallon can.Takes just a few seconds to refill if I have some cutting to do for myself or someone else.
  8. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    Yes - sorry I didn't mean to muddy the water with my earlier post. I would definitely run at least the minimum octane rating specified by the mfr. Less octane could cause detonation, more octane doesn't really gain you anything unless you have hopped the engine up beyond the OEM configuration.
  9. Como

Como Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Colorado
    91 Octane, no ethanol now that I have found a place in Denver that does it.

Seems to make a bigger difference with the splitter.
  10. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Nate, I had my Canyon freeze up in 11 deg weather a few years back. I think I picked up a bad batch of fuel then, no other freezing issues to date and it has gotten much colder since.

Heet is isopropanol (Rubbing alcohol without the added water). Much easier on the fuel system than Nate's methanol. ;)
  11. nate379

nate379 Guest

Depends on the bottle. The yellow one is methanol, the red bottle is isopropanol.

12. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi