Chainsaw Leaking Bar Oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

babzog

Oct 25, 2011
Eastern Ontario, Canada
Maybe it's normal, but my Husqvarna 357XP leaks bar oil like crazy. There's a little adjuster screw on the bottom to determine the amount of oil that gets fed to the chain and the greatest concentration of fresh oil seems to be around that screw. I haven't fiddled with it much and it's not been abused so I'm kinda at a loss as to why this thing is leaking. Might not even be from that screw, could be from elsewhere and just pooling there. Anyone else have such a leaky saw? What would be causing this? Remedies?

Need to really know where its coming from. Could be a crack case.

Happens occasionally with my Husky.

maple1 said:
I don't think I have ever had or used a saw that didn't leak at least a little bit of oil on whatever it happened to be sitting on.

Darn sure some leaky one out there, but I have 3 saws that do not leak.

My 357 leaked like crazy too. Sit it on a towel or sit it on its side with the cap a little loose so pressure doesn't build in the oil tank from change in baro.

The cap on my 361 leaks. I need to get a new cap, but for now I just lay it on its side.

There are 5 of us who cut firewood regularly together. All 5 have husky's are less than 5 years old. 3 out of the 5 leak bar oil. I believe it a fault in the vent for the oil tank. When I asked our local husky repair facility about it, he told me he puts an old floor mat under his saws :-/

pen

Bought my 22yr old 288XPW in mid June,used it 2 days after it arrived FedEx. Noticed a very slow leak around the '7th mount' anti-vibe spring underneath it.It sits on a double thick folded over 50 lb paper bird seed bag.I first thought it was the oiler itself,but a quick exam proved otherwise.Watched the saw when idling,you could see it bubbling out of there.Even continued when saw was shut off.

Turns out the rubber o ring on oil cap had shrunk a bit over the years (one on gas cap is still tight),so I replaced it with a new factory part.No leaks anywhere now.Best $2 investment all summer.

My 30 yr old wee Echo has always leaked a little,the 12 yr old Poulan Super 380 has never leaked. Poulan 475 that I sold 2 weeks ago would leak quite a bit unless oiler was backed off when in storage.

My Stihl 039 was leaking like crazy. Due to all the sawdust and grime I could not tell where it was coming from. Took it tot he dealer and he found a crack in the case. Repaired it with some epoxy and charged me 35 bucks. A new case was 160 for the part. It still leaks but only a tiny bit now. Before it was fixed it would leak the entire contents in a couple days. How did I find out? Leaked all over the garage floor.

Boom Stick said:
My Stihl 039 was leaking like crazy. Due to all the sawdust and grime I could not tell where it was coming from. Took it tot he dealer and he found a crack in the case. Repaired it with some epoxy and charged me 35 bucks. A new case was 160 for the part. It still leaks but only a tiny bit now. Before it was fixed it would leak the entire contents in a couple days. How did I find out? Leaked all over the garage floor.

You have sawdust on your saw? %-P

Status
Not open for further replies.