1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Chainsaw milling

Post in 'The Gear' started by bad69bird, Dec 27, 2012.

1. bad69bird

bad69bird Member

Loc:
    New London Pa
    Can I do any sort of milling with my ms290 or would it be a total waste of my time. Bigger saw is on the wish list but wedding plans don't allow for it. At this poi t I am only interested to doing smaller pieces for coffee tables and such not looking to build a house

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. computeruser

computeruser Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    East Lansing, MI
    Not really. The saw falls short on HP and the plastic engine cradle will not likely take well to having a mill hanging off the plastic-mounted bar studs. Aim for 70cc as a minimum for small milling work, and 90cc or more for real milling >16" material.
  3. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Nope. Waste of time,energy,wear on your body.Will burn up a smaller saw very quickly.
  4. Boog

Boog Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Gotta agree with Thistle and Computeruser, a 290 just isn't going to cut it. Best to wait till after the wedding when you'll hopefully have some more cash (yeah right) and the perpmission of your Sig-Other (better start factoring that in) and buy a bigger saw. Sure, you can make a few small pieces with the 290, but you'll really beat it up.
  5. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

I run a 660 milling, it can be (it is) tough on that.
    Thistle and ScotO like this.
  6. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

I have a newer 460 Mag and would want a 660 or 880 for the milling I would want to do..

The 290 may work, but its gonna be a slooooow process.
  7. bad69bird

bad69bird Member

Loc:
    New London Pa
    Thanks for the input I figured as much but thought I would ask. Why do my ideas during boredom have to be so expensive