Chainsaw question - are all cutting chains equal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jags said:
Intheswamp said:
but we're back moving into early drought territory again. :(

The USA is indeed currently experiencing a wide range of climate issues.

Ed

I will trade you some rain for a little of your drought. Oh, who am I kidding, I want my lawn to turn a nice shade of brown.

I hear you on that!
Brown = less fuel and more time for other "pleasures" ;-)

smokinjay said:
Jags said:
Intheswamp said:

Ed

I will trade you some rain for a little of your drought. Oh, who am I kidding, I want my lawn to turn a nice shade of brown.

LOL, I cant beleave my sewer never back-up it was under water for a week.

I put a new sewer/septic field in last fall. I had to run 500 ft of tiles and then a perimeter drain 4 ft deep about a quarter mile down to the creek.
I ran down to see for the first time and it drains wonderfully. I was surprised how much water was coming out.

mecreature said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:
Intheswamp said:

Ed

LOL, I cant beleave my sewer never back-up it was under water for a week.

I put a new sewer/septic field in last fall. I had to run 500 ft of tiles and then a perimeter drain 4 ft deep about a quarter mile down to the creek.
I ran down to see for the first time and it drains wonderfully. I was surprised how much water was coming out.

I know I was worried big time! shhhhhhhh weeeeee. The grass is full swing now and sucking the water up quick. Two acers of some very thick 4 inch stand of grass.

smokinjay said:
The grass is full swing now and sucking the water up quick. Two acers of some very thick 4 inch stand of grass.

I'd gladly trade two acres of your 4" grass for the one acre of 12" tall quack grass I have to go out and mow now. That stuff is growing like Chinese bamboo. Wanted to get some saw time in while the rain is stopped, but the forecast shows I have a very small window of opportunity to hack that stuff down before more thunderstorms roll in this afternoon. I'm headed out, dammit. :-S

Hope I hit a rock buried in the jungle out there. My local small engine mechanic told me he's three weeks backed up. Either Lady BK will give me a pass while it's in the shop, or she'll let me go out and get that new RedMax trimmer I've been eyeballing. Long as it looks, sounds, and smells like two-stroke, I won't mind mowing the whole lawn with it. :coolgrin:

Battenkiller said:
smokinjay said:
The grass is full swing now and sucking the water up quick. Two acers of some very thick 4 inch stand of grass.

I'd gladly trade two acres of your 4" grass for the one acre of 12" tall quack grass I have to go out and mow now. That stuff is growing like Chinese bamboo. Wanted to get some saw time in while the rain is stopped, but the forecast shows I have a very small window of opportunity to hack that stuff down before more thunderstorms roll in this afternoon. I'm headed out, dammit. :-S

Hope I hit a rock buried in the jungle out there. My local small engine mechanic told me he's three weeks backed up. Either Lady BK will give me a pass while it's in the shop, or she'll let me go out and get that new RedMax trimmer I've been eyeballing. Long as it looks, sounds, and smells like two-stroke, I won't mind mowing the whole lawn with it. :coolgrin:

I was a tree and shrub manger at at Tru-green for 15 years, this is the hardest lawn to get started ever. 120 some years of rail road and the strip the top soil. I would bet 4 years ago my septic would have failed. Pull behind areator is worth its weight!

smokinjay said:
Battenkiller said:
smokinjay said:

I was a tree and shrub manger at at Tru-green for 15 years, this is the hardest lawn to get started ever. 120 some years of rail road and the strip the top soil. I would bet 4 years ago my septic would have failed. Pull behind areator is worth its weight!

I just seeded over my septic area last week.. leveled it out and ran a 5 ft tiller over it a couple times. spread seed and put starter on it.
twiddling my thumbs waiting now. This has been a good week of long drizzling rain for it.

I was going to have a big load of top soil added but seemed like enough was there to get the seed to grab so I opted out.
I knew they would make a mess of the yard putting a septic in but it just really didn't sink in till it was done.

had a well drilled last year... talk about a mess the whole process was kind of cool though.. a soil scientist from purdue came down and took samples of the soil
down to about 6 ft with one of those plug things.

very interesting conversation with that man. knew his stuff and took it very serious.

hope I can get my grass to take.. there is a lot of clay in this state.

mecreature said:
smokinjay said:
Battenkiller said:
smokinjay said:

I just seeded over my septic area last week.. leveled it out and ran a 5 ft tiller over it a couple times. spread seed and put starter on it.
twiddling my thumbs waiting now. This has been a good week of long drizzling rain for it.

I was going to have a big load of top soil added but seemed like enough was there to get the seed to grab so I opted out.
I knew they would make a mess of the yard putting a septic in but it just really didn't sink in till it was done.

had a well drilled last year... talk about a mess the whole process was kind of cool though.. a soil scientist from purdue came down and took samples of the soil
down to about 6 ft with one of those plug things.

very interesting conversation with that man. knew his stuff and took it very serious.

hope I can get my grass to take.. there is a lot of clay in this state.

I work and state testing at Purdue a lot, wish I had went there for there forstry program. Areation is a big deal in this state because of the clay.

smokinjay said:
I work and state testing at Purdue a lot, wish I had went there for there forstry program. Areation is a big deal in this state because of the clay.

Northern Illinois is pretty lucky with not having to deal with much clay. AND we got all of Wisconsins' black dirt after the big ice cube melted.

Battenkiller said:
I'd gladly trade two acres of your 4" grass for the one acre of 12" tall quack grass I have to go out and mow now. That stuff is growing like Chinese bamboo.

Get a couple of sheep!

Status
Not open for further replies.