Chainsaw questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rkshed

Feeling the Heat
Jan 15, 2012
NH
I have used a Jonsered 455 for 30 years and it has yet to die. It is getting very tired though. I have acres of free hardwood to fell and buck but the Jonsered just takes too long.
Here are the questions...
What is a good solid saw that can handle bucking 24" trees without fuss?
Everyone seems to love Huskys but i'm not sure who makes them anymore. Who makes Jonsered anymore?
Looking for 60cc version too.
Help!!
Rick

I would step into a 70cc saw for that kinda action. Stihl 441,460.....Husky 372, dolmar 7900.

If it has to be a 60cc stihl 036/360/361/361

Smokinjay is right .......... For the most part :) but he left out one 60 cc saw ,the 562 xp . It's definitely worth taking a look at if 60 cc's is what you're after.

Nixon said:
Smokinjay is right .......... For the most part :) but he left out one 60 cc saw ,the 562 xp . It's definitely worth taking a look at if 60 cc's is what you're after.

Yea the only husky I know it the 372......Pretty weak on the husk line no dealers til you hit Indy.

rkshed, I'm in Southern NH and have used a Stihl 361 with 18" bar for the last few years and there's nothing I've not been able to do (the 34" maple took two cuts, but that's rare). While I agree a 70cc would be cool, if you'll also be limbing and/or the 24" estimate is the high side, I'd like the lower weight.

Or, you can save yourself a whole lotta work and lemme cut some 'a them trees for ya!

S

I run a husky 372 its about 10 years old;power to weight ratio is good for me good to fell or buck with;it puts out arounrd 5 hp and weighs 13# or so.Recently I ran a brand new jonsered cs 2165 saw really cranks extemly fast chain speed and is an equivalent size to the husky 372; but you will find these a little cheaper than the husky ($ 600) Both of these are the same manufacture husqvarna/jonsered.Either of these will pull a 24 inch bar with ease.If i was to buy a new saw it would be the jonsered......................... :cheese:

rkshed said:
I have used a Jonsered 455 for 30 years and it has yet to die. It is getting very tired though. I have acres of free hardwood to fell and buck but the Jonsered just takes too long.
Here are the questions...
What is a good solid saw that can handle bucking 24" trees without fuss?
Everyone seems to love Huskys but i'm not sure who makes them anymore. Who makes Jonsered anymore?
Looking for 60cc version too.
Help!!
Rick

Husky still makes Husky...and they own jonsered as well.

If you are running a 24" bar get a 372XP or a 2171/2172 Jonsered......... depending on your preference in color and straight or angled handle bar.

A 60cc will buck 24" trees, but not without some fuss.

The Husky XP saws are nice. I would be looking for a high RPM / chain speed saw. You can go with a smaller cc saw and save on weight with the high speed saws.

Maybe you just need to treat that Jred to some Seafoam and a nice Stihl RS chain.

I've torn down the carb and such but it is just an old saw that takes too long to cut. To quote Tim Allen...More power!

boy its about time i upgrade my poulan woodshark 14" bar saw! had it since 2000 and its still going strong! but i would like more power forsure, thinking about getting a sthl with a 16 or 18" bar.

Well, I looked at Husky and Jonsered today (Stihl is just too expensive) and I just dont know.
The Huskys seem to have taken over the retail world. All the big box stores carry them but I have had such good luck with the Jonsered.
55 to 60cc prices seem to be similar too.
Hmm.....
If this is the worst thing in my life, I have a pretty great life!

boy i dont know if they sell jonsred in alaska.

You mentioned "Box Stores". What does your local, competent power equipment store sell ? Saws need to be tuned when they are first put together and then again after you break them in. With the high RPM saws the second tune really brings the saw to life. Your local store should do this for no charge. If you need odd parts, muffler screw for example, a warranty upgrade or something 5 years from now, are you going to be getting that from the Box Store ?
The "best equipment" is the equipment that runs right when you need it.
I used to do Kubota Tractor swaps with these guys and my local dealer. they may be near you ....
http://www.chappelltractor.com/
I have a 357XP with an 18" bar and that saw will cut ( blows through ) with the tip buried all day long, So cutting 24" wood would be no problem. But, it's light enough you can cut right down to 4" before changing to a smaller saw.

Usually it's Husky on the losing end of the price war..... But Husky's XP saws aren't sold in the box stores and if you're comparing box store saws to Stihl's 362/441/460 then that would explain why Stihl is "too expensive". Usually when you go apples to apples on the machine, Husky winds up being the pricier option.

oh, I get it!
Similar to Dewalt, Husky makes models for the big stores and similar models, but bette,r for the small dealers. Some hand tool manufacturers do that.

RobC, i'm going to stop by Chappell this week. Thanks. They are about 15 minutes away.
Nobody seems to be too keen on Jonsered. Any reason for that or are Huskys and Stihls the standard anymore?

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm new to this and I know motorcycles not wood burning.

rkshed--not sure where you're at (thinking Nashua, Milford area), but you should check out a couple of the smaller shops in the area. Chappell's fabulous, but they strickly sell retail. Check out R White in Nashua and Hudson Small Engine in Hudson. I picked up my 361 out the door for under $600 with some goodies. As for Jonsered, I get the feeling that since Husqvarna's saws are essentially identical, a lot of the J-Red dealers are simplifying. R White still sells them, last I checked, but the 361 was less expensive, lighter, and more powerful. The J-Red did rev higher and feel a bit better balanced.

What's your price range?

S

http://www.echo-usa.com/Home

If your still looking here is another good brand mine starts with one pull every time and runs like a champ. All of our tree companies around here that do storm cleanup swear by them that's where I heard about echo.

Good luck
Pete

rkshed said:
oh, I get it!
Similar to Dewalt, Husky makes models for the big stores and similar models, but bette,r for the small dealers. Some hand tool manufacturers do that.

RobC, i'm going to stop by Chappell this week. Thanks. They are about 15 minutes away.
Nobody seems to be too keen on Jonsered. Any reason for that or are Huskys and Stihls the standard anymore?

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm new to this and I know motorcycles not wood burning.

Check Jonsered's website for a dealer near you. I doubt you'll find them at big box stores. Again, Husky now owns jonsered.....they are the same saw except for color and the handle bar angle.

I used to run Jonsered for years. Great saws, but my local guy at the time of this last purchase wasn't stocking them. This is a tool that you will spend a lot of time with using. It's good to get a good price but make sure that your getting value too.
Echo does make a good saw. I run a CS341 for topping and brushing out.
Think I would stick to a Jonny or Husky before I went to something else. Nothing against Sthil but we had limited availability around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.