Chainsaw won't start when warm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How old is this saw? History please.

The saw is about 6 years old. I cleaned the air filter and changed the spark plug once a year and that's all the maintenance it gets so far. I chainsaw about 2-3 cords of wood a year.

Gunks said:
The saw is about 6 years old. I cleaned the air filter and changed the spark plug once a year and that's all the maintenance it gets so far. I chainsaw about 2-3 cords of wood a year.

Not alot of use on it, was first thinking crank seals. With that info sounds like it will be in the fuel lines, but by any chance are you choking it after refueling?

Pull the spark plug and see if it's wet after you try to start it. If it is, then you have an ignition problem or you're flooding the saw trying to start it. Pull the saw over a few times until you can't see fuel spraying out the plug hole. Reinstall the plug and pull it over WITHOUT choking it. Have to warn you tho. These saws can become more $$ to fix than they are worth and they generally have a very poor reputation. If you don't get it running for cheap, then I'd be looking to replace it.

Gunks said:
I tried with the choke fully opened, half-opened and closed and nothing happen.

Once its choke when hot its over! Try it again and on the second tank "NO CHOKE WHAT SO EVER"! See if that fixs the problem first! ;-) Never choke a hot saw....Its always a long day when any hot saw gets choke. I have shut done a few times with the 880 choke hot! lol it will break a 4 man crew down.

Another thing to check:

When it won't start when warm/hot, open the fuel cap. Do you hear a sucking sound?

I had the same problem with my Stihl ms 270. I did the simplest things first changed the plug, cleaned the the air filter, changed the fuel filter, still would not run. Ended up having to change the ignition module.

You could try a carb kit too. Had that happen with an engine of mine once and it was a bad set of gaskets.

Status
Not open for further replies.