Chainsawing Wet Wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodburn

Oct 26, 2007
Long Island, New York
I had a load of white oak dropped at the house. It absolutely poured here today. Might sound like a stupid question, but will bucking the wet wood be any different than working with dry wood? If anything, I'm thinking the wetness will help keep the chain cooler. But on the other hand, does wet wood cause the sawdust to cake-up on the chain, clog oil holes, etc..? Probably overthinking here, but just want to check.

Better wet than dry IMHO.

woodburn said:
I had a load of white oak dropped at the house. It absolutely poured here today. Might sound like a stupid question, but will bucking the wet wood be any different than working with dry wood? If anything, I'm thinking the wetness will help keep the chain cooler. But on the other hand, does wet wood cause the sawdust to cake-up on the chain, clog oil holes, etc..? Probably overthinking here, but just want to check.

Saw away, Amigo.

If I didn't saw wet wood I'd never saw anything.

Bigg_Redd said:
woodburn said:

Saw away, Amigo.

If I didn't saw wet wood I'd never saw anything.
same here i will cut when its raining

it's only wet on the outside, the inside doesn't change.
rain, snow, ice...builds character and appreciation for the wood and the heat.

Wet wood doesn't get dust all over and I swear it's easier on the chain. I cut dry elm and it is darn hard when wet.

Well, I chained that wood up today and the verdict is in. I didn't notice much difference at all. A bit heavier on the back of course, but otherwise all seemed the same. I agree with wet probably being better just because it helps that chain last a slight bit longer by helping to keep it cool. Less stopping to tighten the tension too.

Status
Not open for further replies.