Champion Log Splitter Spare Tire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

closedknuckle

May 14, 2009
midwest
Just picked up a Champion log splitter. Was wondering what others are using for a spare tire/rim?

Just picked up a Champion log splitter. Was wondering what others are using for a spare tire/rim?
Never had a flat on one...can't say I've even heard of that, other than maybe just from sitting, which that can generally just be blown back up and go.

How much are you towing it? I never looked at a Champion but many splitters have a stub spindle welded to the bottom of the cross tube which is the tank. Not really made for road towing, just for moving around the property. The spindles can break off or at the least crack the tank. If you really want a spare just look at the size count the lugs and do the google. Amazon, TSC, Rural King and Walmart probably have what you want.

By the picture of the splitter the tire do not look like they are rated for on road use.
Look closely at the print on the tire ,if not road rated it will say not rated for highway use.

Tractor Supply has various sizes. I got trailer tires there. They are mounted on rims

Thanks for the responses. I don't plan on towing it a lot. At times I will tow it 2 miles at 25 miles an hour. The tires are rated for 45 miles an hour.