1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Champion wood splitters?

Post in 'The Gear' started by maple1, Mar 14, 2013.

1. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Anybody have experience with them? There's a 20 Ton gas one advertised here this week for $999. Didn't know Champion was into splitters?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
  3. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

That 22 ton Husky is a tough machine to beat for anywhere near the money. Takes a nearly $2K budget to get me to recommend looking at other units.

But I do like this one from Northern for $1600.

I'd be looking for some kind of shipping promo however. $185 to ship it to me, makes it a nearly $1800 machine.
    TreePointer likes this.
  4. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    For the same bucks, stick with the Husky.
    TreePointer likes this.
  5. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    +1 I'll take the Huskee
  6. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Guess I should have done a search first.

The one I saw advertised is specd as a 20 ton, not 22 - and it has the same paint job/graphics as Champion generators (yellow). Not sure it's the same one?

But either way, from further reading, I don't think I'm quite as interested today as I was yesterday. I
    ll just keep on keeping my eyes peeled.
  7. KB007

KB007 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ottawa, Canada
    My buddy and I use a Champion 17 ton that we bought ~4 years ago and it's used tp split about 8 cords/yr X 4 yrs plus an extra 8 the first year. Other than changing oil, cleaning the carb it's been a great splitter. It just developed a very small leak in one of the seals, which hopefully will be a quick repair. We paid $800 for it at TSC on sale.

Would I buy it again - yeah think so for the same price. If I was going to be spedning more money and there was something like a huskee or other top tier brand for the same money, I'd buy the better brand.