change L shape fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bunny82

Nov 20, 2013
Fisher IL
I have an L shaped fireplace I have never used. My dad said it would suck up as much heat as it produced. (dad passed away, so now I can't ask him what to do) Can I install a stove or does it have to be an insert? Size of current fireplace is 24" H, 37" W, 25" D.

A picture sure would help. Welcome to the forums! Rick

I suspect you will have to install an insert. But you can leave the sides open, with no surround. Take a look at stoves that can be installed as inserts or freestanding like the Avalon Rainier and most Buck stoves.

How much space are you heating? Are you heating part time or do you plan on heating 24/7? What is your floor plan like? The Kuma Ashwood could also be considered in your case.

I have a 2000 ft ranch. I want to be prepared for a disaster. I remember when Sandy hit the east coast. People with propane heaters waited in line for hours trying to get fuel. So being prepared for a blizzard & going off grid is my priority but of course if we could use enough for it to pay for itself that would be ideal. (I tried to include pic, ignore the mirror, candles etc in fireplace. Obviously we have considered it merely decorative)

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 125
OK, I am going to check out a used Buck insert this weekend. It is a deal at $275. The metal of the unit looks dull. Can I wipe it down with something that would improve the appearance?

You can repaint the stove. I repainted all the used stoves in my life and repainted them every few years thereafter. I like the black mettle flake paint. The stove looks newer longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.