Change of thought For second stove. Opinions please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MICHAEL H

Hearth Supporter
Dec 24, 2009
se indiana
I had before posted about considering a new stove in the basement. But since it is unfinished I will be wasting heat into the bare concrete. Makes sense. So I was thinking a whole new plan. PE Pacific insert in great room downstairs. Does great. Enter my house. Open foyer with 20 foot ceiling to upstairs. Open with overlook banister. To the left is the sitting room. Only say 120 square feet. Would a stove in this room help heat upstairs? I am thinking alot of the heat would rise up the open foyer into the rooms upstairs. Ceiling fan to circulate heat in the sitting room. If so. What size stove should I consider. PE alderlea T4 or say Jotul F C or larger? Trying like heck to completely eliminate any need for electric heat. More expensive everyday!

That pretty much sounds like our floor plan. We do alright with heating second floor from the basement stove so I would say a stove on the first floor anywhere near the open space should do a bang up job. We've been kicking around the 2 stove thing for a couple yrs now and I just can't bring myself to double the work load or actually triple it since hauling wood to my fist floor means dragging it up stairs. Basement is on ground level. I too realize electric isn't cheap and I live in one of the cheapest electric co-ops areas in the country, but at some point there is a balance in life.

I just dont want to overdo it with too large a stove. I did get a whole house cool mist humidifier which should help my son out as someone greatly suggested earlier. I agree a better floorplan would do the trick much easier. Just picture my foyer as a great chimmney with one wall open to the upstairs. Still a little vague I agree. I always tend to think a bigger stove is always better. In this case I think I may need to think smaller since my insert and free standing stove our on the same first floor.

It all depends on the lay out & air flow (with help from a fan or 2 :) )

I have 2 stoves because the PE insert is on an "upper level" (6 steps up) from the ground level floor of the house. You just cannot move the heat "down" through a 36" doorway.

My feeling is that when you start getting into multiple stoves is when you should start thinking about a cat stove. A lot of times the second stove is used to help even out the temp or on really cold days. With a cat stove you can over size a bit and run it at a low temp and get longer burn times out of it, which results in less stove loading, which becomes tiresome with more than one stove.

But then, some just don't like cat stoves. If that's the case, then ignore what I said. %-P

I am interested. Never really looked at a cat stove. Know Blaze Kings have a loyal following. Any other brands to consider looking into. So. The jest of cat stove is pretty much like sitting a thermostat. Am I thinking right. Help me out here if you dont mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.