Change the enamal color on an iron stove???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexter

Aug 9, 2007
Boulder County, CO
After living in our house for 11 years, we are renovating. The boss lady would like to change the color-scheme, and that means our (beautiful) green Jotul Firelight color no longer "fits". I just replaced the secondary burn manifold assembly, and do not want to sell it. Can such a stove be "roughed" and re-enameled in another color...for less than the cost of a new one?

(She may have to just live with it.)

Regards,

Dexter

The only way to do this correctly would be to remove the porcelain enamel completely. Jotul does good finishes, so this would not be a trivial task. Folks have talked about shot-blasting the stove or trying to rough the finish up with varying grades of sandpaper, but I have not seen the final product with that method. I would leave it be and try to color complement the Firelight in a new color-scheme instead of working against it.

All I can say is that Black does not necessarily fit the 'color scheme' of many houses yet folks have and love their black stoves. Bottom line is I am not so sure your stove has to 'fit' your new 'color scheme'.

you really cant change the color with out sand blasting the stove then you could re-paint it i would say it is not worth the effort sell the stove and buy a new one that would match

Its my understanding that the finish is baked on, as in a kiln 1500 degrees baked on. Now could you rough it up and apply some high temp paint? possibly but it sounds like a bad idea to me.

Now if you knew someone local that did enameling the stove would need dis-assembled and all the green parts blasted down ro bare metal, re-enameled to whatever color and then re-assembled

I would think with a little imagination, some green accent, trim, or something could be added into the decor to tie in the green stove.

Just wait till it gets a little colder and that Green Jotul will look more attractive per degree ;)

what color is it??

"our (beautiful) green Jotul Firelight"

So what kind of new stove are you getting? Ingenious way to get a new stove I might add, it was all her idea.

Good luck!

Dont bother at all. Buy a new stove. Tax credit helps. Dont buy Jotul, they stopped serving buckets of gigantic peeled shrimp at the HPBA show. Ever since then, I never sold a single one of their stoves.

Franks said:
Dont bother at all. Buy a new stove. Tax credit helps. Dont buy Jotul, they stopped serving buckets of gigantic peeled shrimp at the HPBA show. Ever since then, I never sold a single one of their stoves.

I heard the were concerned that those jumbo gulf shrimp might be flammable! They'll be serving lutefisk next year. :sick: :lol:

It's not worth the effort to try to remove that enamel. The best way would be via a bead blaster. You are better off to sell the green stove and then buy whatever new color you would like.

cycloxer said:
It's not worth the effort to try to remove that enamel. The best way would be via a bead blaster. You are better off to sell the green stove and then buy whatever new color you would like.

Keep the stove and put the wife on here with some color swatches and the stove color. Maybe Bobbin can help her out.

Actually, she's a charming and practical old girl -- that's my wife, not the stove. She grooves on cutting and splitting with me, after all these years. I'm a lucky guy. In any case, it looks like we're gonna match that part of the house to the stove, rather than the other way around.

Cheers

Good plan!

Too bad, I thought you were going to get an upgrade. :snake:

Dexter said:
Actually, she's a charming and practical old girl

Thems fightin' words in most households....

Status
Not open for further replies.