char griller 22424 into a wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tribalturtle2

Dec 14, 2016
Algonquin IL
I am taking my char griller 22424 side fire box and turning it into a wood stove for my pop up camper ice fishing shack. What size pipe is recommended and what would I need to do it? I am looking at 4" diameter or 5" diameter pipe. The floor to ceiling is about 6 to 7 feet high. Thinking of running it out a window or building a shelf in the front by the tongue of the trailer which would site about 3 feet off the ground.

Link to what the Char Griller 22424 looks like:
http://www.target.com/p/char-griller-table-top-charcoal-grill-side-fire-box/-/A-15090824

Last edited:
I don't know, I think you might be on your own on this one.

Checking to see if any of my friends can weld or cut a 4"-6" hole in the back of it on an angle and weld in a section of stove pipe to it. Going to get some pictures and add them on here so everyone can see what i'm trying to accomplish. lol

Just be careful. I mean I don't know if it's common practice to turn charcoal grills into stoves for ice shacks. Maybe there's 1000's of people doing this. I do know the thing wasn't made for that so who could say if it's going to draft fine and keep you warm or leak CO and poison you in the small enclosed space?

In any case, this is kind of do it right or don't do it kind of forum so not sure how many would be willing to venture a guess. I suppose we'll find out. CO detectors are cheap.

20161204_164125.jpg 20161203_184335.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have both sides walled up, side walls have windows with screens, there is a propane furnace in the but it seems like the propane isn't getting to the furnace or stove. Neither will light. So figured I would use a small wood stove to heat it. Also has side vents for the furnace and a vent on the roof.

I think you'd likely be better off fixing the furnace. Probably just a bad regulator or pilot.

Last edited:
There will be holes put in this weekend and it will go out on the ice once as the ice is about 12" or thicker. I might look into a propane heater adapter that goes on top of a 20lb propane tank or maybe a wall mounted one that I can run a propane hose to.

I just realized I overlooked that neither stove nor furnace will light. I'm thinking it's a crushed (or cut) line, bad (or incorrect regulator) or bad tank. There's usually nothing between the regulator and the stove other than pipe. If the stove won't light there's not much else it could be.

Decided to return the Char Griller 22424 and ended up buying a Dyna-Glo Dual Fuel Blue Flame Vent-Free Wall heater. Has a Thermostat and:
  • Oxygen Depletion Sensor shuts down heater if oxygen were to be depleted

https://www.farmandfleet.com/produc...al-fuel-blue-flame-vent-free-wall-heater.html
Much better idea. Even though they are vent free I would recommend a wall vent (floor register) installed near where you are going to mount it. I would still get the CO detector.

I was going to suggest that but then remembered there will be a big hole or two in the floor for fishing.

Reactions: rwhite
Status
Not open for further replies.