Char-Lite wood burning boiler, ceiling radiant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

metalfingers

Jan 15, 2017
Central IL
My new to me home was built in 1962. It has an LP boiler and a Char Lite wood burner hooked into the same system. Copper lines are embedded in the plaster of the ceiling of the main floor & in the concrete of the basement floor, so there are no registers. I'm doing my best to figure out the system and make it as efficient as possible in the future.

IMAG3856_BURST002.jpg

I picked up a cheap thermal camera which has been worth it's weight in gold. I've been using it to bleed lines after I had to drain the system, locate pipes for remodeling, and just learn the system in general.

flir_20160925T151913.jpg
flir_20160925T152103.jpg
flir_20160929T214733.jpg
flir_20160929T214648.jpg

I started burning wood but was not getting the results I hoped for. I believe my main problem is wet wood, but the first thing that helped was emptying out the ashes. The previous owner probably hadn't done that in years and I scooped about 15 gallons of ash out. I believe this was keeping some of the heat from the system.

I could use some advice on the next attempt. I noticed a box of fire bricks in the basement and the wood burner had a lining of them in the bottom. I removed them thinking they could be insulating from heat and they weren't meant to be there. There is a hole rotted through the metal floor so I can see the benefit of them eliminating that. Should I put fire bricks back in?

IMAG3853.jpg
IMAG3851.jpg
IMAG4031.jpg

I picked up a cheap thermal camera which has been worth it's weight in gold.

Holy crap that's cool! Just how "cheap" was this camera? I would love one too but I thought that they were very expensive.

I just ordered the Flir, to plug into my new Samsung S7. Supposed to be on it's way via courier. $329 CDN, not sure what they are in US bucks.

Ouch, 286$ and only reads up to 248 F.

I paid $214 for mine, looks like the price has gone up since, but I have an android.
I don't really use the temp feature on it much, that's what your IR gun is for. It's a lot more useful for actually SEEING
where your house is losing heat. Or, if you have a heat system like mine, it's invaluable.

The sensitivity is amazing, put your hand on a cool block wall for a few seconds and the heat stays there for a long time
flir_20160929T214442.jpg

my ceiling without thermal camera
IMAG3300.jpg

and with...
flir_20160925T152353.jpg

Reactions: Highbeam
very cool. How are the ceiling emitters put together? I have been looking for opportunities for radiant ceiling that my wife will agree to, but haven't found one yet.

thanks
karl