charging lawn tractor battery

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
Can I use my car to jump my lawn tractor battery or will it ruin it? I bought a new lawn tractor, of course the battery is dead. It says to charge for an hour if recieved after june 08. I don't have a 12 volt battery charger or any battery charger to be exact. Or if some one knows of a good cheap one, I could get, that would be good to.

I leave mine on one of these all winter.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42292

12v is 12v. No problem jump starting it from a car, but I'd suggest only long enough to start the mower and make sure the car isn't running.

If you put too much current into the mower battery it will get hot and offgas a lot of hydrogen (explosive gas). Generally not a good combination. Connecting it for less than a minute without the car running is just fine.

yeah - car not running and take the cables right off after the tractor starts to get it going.

Sears and other stores sell some pretty simple and cheap chargers for 6 or 12 volt that work great. Just leave it on for a day as they are generally trickle charge units.

KarlP said:
I leave mine on one of these all winter.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42292

12v is 12v. No problem jump starting it from a car, but I'd suggest only long enough to start the mower and make sure the car isn't running.

If you put too much current into the mower battery it will get hot and offgas a lot of hydrogen (explosive gas). Generally not a good combination. Connecting it for less than a minute without the car running is just fine.

I was actually looking at one of those today...

Another option, once you get the mower started, is to purchase one of these little darlings of the auto storage world: http://www.batterytender.com/

I have two of the Battery Tender models and I switch them from my JD Gator to my JD tractor to my Chevy truck to my Honda generator and to my Iron and Oak log splitter during the off season. A Battery Tender would be a perfect off season charger for a small (or large) 12 volt lawn mower or motorcycle battery. The company also makes chargers for 6 volt batteries.

I have no financial or other interest in the Battery Tender Company. They just make an excellent product.

I also use Battery Tenders on everything I have. Plug it in when I park it and walk away until next time. Bought my motorcycle new and still has the original battery in it from 1997. (Also believe in using Stabil in everything except the car.)

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.