Chasing ghosts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rory

Jan 10, 2009
Central Me
I have a new installation of a Tarm Solo 30 with tank, using my old oil boiler for backup. I built the tank, but as I have no plumbing skills, I hired a plumber to implement the design my vendor gave me for the system. It includes a Termovar and another 3 way valve by the oil boiler (as well as the Termovar by the WB), but my plumber noticed it was sending all the hot water through the old boiler whenver we were pushing heat. Upon looking at the piping schematic, I think he misinterpreted an intersection that will bypass the oil boiler when sending heat to the zones. Can I expect this to make a noticeable difference?

Rory,
Before you assume there was a miss piping, I Just over heard a discussion with a highly qualified installer and an owner that was experiencing the same problem. There was some reference to having to modify something from Tarm's diagram (if that is the one you used) to overcome this. To make your life simple I recommend calling Tarm with a detailed drawing to provide via fax...I bet they will be able to give you the low down.
I traveled with this installer and took pictures of jobs and here is the one I'm speaking on:

Attachments

• #4 Tarm & Tank.jpg
    #4 Tarm & Tank.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 237
Well, I spoke with my vendor today, and it seems that I'm right about the problem. In fact, he apologized for the detail in that section of the diagram, saying it was his and that my plumber wasn't the first to get it wrong. If he had shown the intersections as offset instead of a cross it would have been obvious. Still, the lack of the little symbol that shows lines (or wires, in electrical diagrams) as crossing in different planes should have been enough.

I'm looking forward to getting it straightened out. Along with removing a radiator in my basement that is no longer needed, I'm hoping to see a noticeable difference in the heat coming to the intended targets.

Status
Not open for further replies.