Cheap Inverter Generator/UPS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IHATEPROPANE

Minister of Fire
Feb 24, 2011
NoPellettons, MA
I thought I would post my experience with my set up since there has been a lot of talk about it during the recent snow storm.

The exact equipment I used is in my sig.

The only thing plugged into my UPS is the pellet stove. It was running on low when I unplugged the UPS. The UPS kicked on and the pellet stove didn't miss a beat. I then plugged it in to my generator which took about 10 pulls to start. UPS shut off and was back "online". The voltage fluctuated between 122/121. Hertz output was always 60. After about 5 minutes I plugged in another fan..one of those floor drying type units. Voltage stayed constant at 121..UPS did not kick on. Then about 5 minutes later the UPS kicked on....Hmmmm...generator stalled. Then ran another 30 minutes without incident.

No sure why the generator stalled but the gas is a little old and maybe it did not warm up long enough. I hear its better to run generators frequently so I plan on doing a 30 minute run every other week.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Building wiring fault light is on on the UPS?? Not sure if this is something it would do with all generators

If the generator is not pure sine wave, it may print out that error.

Status
Not open for further replies.