1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Cheap LED bulb through my utility - NH

Post in 'The Green Room' started by peakbagger, Mar 2, 2014.

1. peakbagger

peakbagger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern NH
    Our utility subsidize various energy savings goodies via a catalog. The most recent has Cree 9 Watt LEDs that are claimed to be 60 Watt equivalents for$ 2.98 each. They also had some Phillps for around $8 . Five bucks to ship no matter what the quantity although they limit the number of subsidized bulbs to 12 total . I am going to use the Crees to replace some halogens in my unheated garage. They also have CFLs. They sell fixtures but the times I have bought them I find that I can get the same quality at Home Depot for less. They also have different brands every year and sometimes getting replacement bulbs is a hassle on the more specialized fixtures.

Nevertheless, a good way to get some LEDs into the house affordably.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Those three dollar bulbs sound like the ones I paid ten bucks for. BTW, I like them.
  3. Where2

Where2 Member

Loc:
    South Florida
    I'd buy a dozen at that price. Thinking about my 1960's house when I bought it, a dozen bulbs would have covered one floor worth of fixtures, and it's a 2-story.
  4. DBoon

DBoon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NY
    If the Cree bulbs they are offering are the soft white versions that Cree sells at Home Depot, that is a great deal. I would make sure they are soft white.

I tested these Cree bulbs and the power consumption actually came in a little less than the 9W rating.
  5. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    I was just at a HD this evening. They are now also selling a Phillips bulb in the shape of a loop for 10 bucks.
  6. Laszlo

Laszlo New Member

Loc:
    Pennsylvania
    Fantastic deal, thanks! I'll have to tell my brother to take advantage of this, as he's moving back on-grid and will finally have a utility account number to be eligible for this sort of thing. This is a very good bulb, and I've been buying lots with the $5 discount my utility offers.

The link, for those interested, is http://www.energyfederation.org/nhsaves/default.php/cPath/2563_4732 . Though the site seems to indicate up to 20 subsidized items are allowed per customer.