1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Cheapest 90cc+ chainsaw?

Post in 'The Gear' started by NoPaint, Mar 10, 2011.

1. NoPaint

NoPaint Member

Loc:
    USA
    What is the cheapest used 90cc+ saw I can buy. No I don't need 90cc's but its something every man should have. Order of importance: 1. Burly Truck 2. Burly Splitter 3. Burly Saw. Right now I'm only at 54cc's (not burly). Please help me find a burly saw. Thanks!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Cheep and 90+cc's doesnt mix at all!
  3. Naandme

Naandme New Member

Loc:
    Eaton, Indiana
    Jay you got that right LOL
  4. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    haha right on....
  5. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    good luck. depending on your comfort with chain brakes and the like, I wouldn't rule out an older McCulloch or something like that. You have to be vigilant with ebay, but they are there and every once in a while one slips by and is snatched up for a crazy low price.

even at a normal price we are talking 1/2 the price of a bigger stihl.
  6. KarlP

KarlP Feeling the Heat

Aww crap. I have a midsize truck and my largest saw is 84.7cc. I must be a tiny pecker nancy boy. :red:

I'm guessing the cheapest new 90cc saw of a reliable brand is the Dolmar-PS9010.

Buying that saw as the off brand discontinued Solo 694 might be cheap. I think its predacessor the Solo 690 is a winner too.
  7. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    some people have to compensate. I drive a moped, split with a hatchet and use a 27cc poulan.
  8. NoPaint

NoPaint Member

Loc:
    USA
    LOL - you guys are a hoot!

And to make matters better: I'm gonna piss off all the cc pissing match guys by only cutting softwoods with it! I know what you guys mean about some people always trying to compensate. Me and my 2wd 6 cylinder truck are A-OK.

Ok so those are good ones to keep an eye out for on ebayt. Keep em coming if you know more.
  9. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Am currently looking for either a Mc Culloch SP125 or a Stihl 090.2 different Macs sold in the past 5 days - a SP105 w/32" bar sold for $355 & a SP125 with 101B racing motor & 36" fatboy bar went for $755.Also 2 different 090's went for $1,009 & $700,respectively.Right now there's a 090 w/33" bar Buy It Now - $999 CD in addition.
  10. NoPaint

NoPaint Member

Loc:
    USA
    I was hoping for around $400...seems like I may need to raise the bar a little (no pun intended)....

The Echo saws are apparently real good. I've only used their blowers and they are robust little buggers.
  11. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    I can do it with a rusty hand saw cutting and noodling (No hatchet) and a bicycle!
  12. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    lol
  13. Naandme

Naandme New Member

Loc:
    Eaton, Indiana
    Well for 400 good luck maybe one that needs alot of work you can find some that will need a cylindr&piston; kit. You will have to come off of 700 plus for a used saw that is my opinion in that size range.
  14. NoPaint

NoPaint Member

Loc:
    USA
    Ok $700 or so I can swing...thanks folks.
  15. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    +1 And pull the muff!
  16. KarlP

KarlP Feeling the Heat

You only have 2wd? Ohh. I feel better now. :coolsmile:

I don't think the CS900EVL has been made for 20 years. I don't think the Echo 1200 & 1201 have been imported into the US. The others just aren't burley. ;-)

In all seriousness, if you'd consider an 80cc saw there are a lot more options. Is this for milling or bucking? If bucking, how often do you intend to see big wood?
  17. NoPaint

NoPaint Member

Loc:
    USA
    80cc would be burly too (burley is a tobacco). Its mainly for bucking - I just love cool tools so 80 is good as well...just want something with some real strong chain burying power.
  18. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    I am pretty happy with my $400 special. Haven't had the opportunity to raise the 5' bar yet.

Attached Files:

19. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    If you can find one, a used Makita 6401 (Dolmar 6400) will get you close if you bolt on an 84.6cc big bore kit. The only problem is that the oiler (not the power) pretty much hits it limit with a 32" bar.
  20. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    You got a steal.Most places would charge you that much for a 5' bar alone,if they had one.
  21. moosetrek

moosetrek New Member

Loc:
    WY - East of Cheyenne
    Dang I thought I was OK with a 372XP... now I worry that everyone's laughing at me when my back's turned. It's OK I'll just keep telling myself its not the size but how you bury the bar.
  22. NoPaint

NoPaint Member

Loc:
    USA
    They're laughing but not because of the saw...its your chicken legs :)
  23. golfandwoodnut

golfandwoodnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pittsburgh PA
    I bought a Stihl 660 that is like new with 25 and 36 inch bars for $800. 91.6 CCs. Love it. I saw (no pun intended) one go for $700.
  24. NoPaint

NoPaint Member

Loc:
    USA
    Golfandwood -

You got a really good deal; definitely a cut (pun) above anything I've heard of. Ideally my purchase would be a project saw. I need to carve out (pun) some time to search around tomorrow. Even though its Friday I may not be able to prune (pun) my schedule enough to start my search but I will be buying a BURLAAAYYY saw real shortly.
  25. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL