Cheat River Hardwood Pellets Review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

maraakate

Sep 27, 2021
Lancaster, PA
Local TSC in Lancaster, PA has switched to this brand of pellet. Bought two bags to try them and pleased to say they burn just fine. I didn't get scientific and measure heat output at strategic spots, but it seems acceptable. Ash is average compared to other big box hardwoods I've burned. Size is fairly consistent. This is leagues better than the rebadged TSC pellets they had previously.

Overall, a good pellet that is the cheapest in the area.

We had a warm spell of 50F past couple of days so I burned these instead. What I've noticed is after a day they really leave cakes in the burn pot. They're not difficult to break up, but they are there to stay until you remove it. Never really had this with other brands. I burned the last few bags I had and suffered through it just to get rid of them because this was incredibly annoying. The ash they give off is very dirty. It does not appear so at first, but after a full day of burning a lot of things get sooty in there and it was annoying to clean after burning 4 bags back to back.

Bought a ton from TSC in December. Have not had any issue with them. No soot great heat. Hardly any dust or fines in the bags. Less ash and no speed bump left behind unlike power pellets I was previously using.