Checked MC on 2yr old "seasoned" logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fox9988

Minister of Fire
Jan 15, 2012
NW Arkansas
Over the last few days I cut up 3 red oaks that fell in an ice storm feb '09.Trees measured 16" to 24" at waist heigh.All 3 where off the ground,supported by root ball on one end,top on the other.Tried out my new toy (moisture meter-lowes)on fresh splits.Wow 24%-30% on everything bigger than 6".Now I'm a believer.

fox9988 said:
fossil said:
fox9988 said:
...Now I'm a believer.

A believer of what?
That wood doesn't season in log form.

Could be it does, could be it doesn't. There's no legal definition, except maybe one in OH (50% MC.)

Buyer beware if ever there was such a thing. Not to mention rubber-ruler cords.

Actually 25-30% MC in oak rounds is pretty low. My 2 year oak splits had that much last year. Thats why they're going sit for at least another year before I use them

Pat53 said:
Actually 25-30% MC in oak rounds is pretty low. My 2 year oak splits had that much last year. Thats why they're going sit for at least another year before I use them
I agree, its looses some moisture over time in round and log form, it just isn't suffiecient to call it seasoned if its been in round or log form.

CTYank said:
fox9988 said:
fossil said:
fox9988 said:
...Now I'm a believer.

A believer of what?

Could be it does, could be it doesn't. There's no legal definition, except maybe one in OH (50% MC.)

If you would take the time to look it up you would see there is a definition

fox9988 said:
Over the last few days I cut up 3 red oaks that fell in an ice storm feb '09.Trees measured 16" to 24" at waist heigh.All 3 where off the ground,supported by root ball on one end,top on the other.Tried out my new toy (moisture meter-lowes)on fresh splits.Wow 24%-30% on everything bigger than 6".Now I'm a believer.

If a lot of the large rounds were split fresh and reading 24%, you are doing great - 25% or less is what is ready for the stove, according to the information provided by our resident wood science guru Battenkiller - haven't heard from him in a while, so not sure if he'll chime in. I'm very surprised to hear of such low readings for oak that was just bucked and split - even if sitting for 2 years off the ground. Cheers!

I am css it for next year.We always burned green wood when I was a kid.Waited until we were about out then went and cut a couple of ricks.I'm trying to avoid creosote, my Dragon has to stay shut down very low or it will run us out of the house, but I always cut a year in advance and stack it out in the weather.Wood shed coming this summer.

oldspark said:
CTYank said:
fox9988 said:
fossil said:
fox9988 said:
...Now I'm a believer.

A believer of what?

No need to get snotty or condescending. There is no definition, except that each of us may have his/her own, which means NOTHING in a court. It's all fuzzy old-wives tales and silly assumptions. There. Prove me wrong. Show me that there is a standard usable in a legal action other than 50% MC in OH.

You might have taken the time to note that I mentioned "LEGAL definition," something one could use to obtain legal redress.

Now, let's focus on finding fact and leave the mud on the ground.

CTYank said:
oldspark said:
CTYank said:
fox9988 said:
fossil said:
fox9988" date="1327022982 said:
...Now I'm a believer.

A believer of what?

No need to get snotty or condescending. There is no definition, except that each of us may have his/her own, which means NOTHING in a court. It's all fuzzy old-wives tales and silly assumptions. There. Prove me wrong. Show me that there is a standard usable in a legal action other than 50% MC in OH.

You might have taken the time to note that I mentioned "LEGAL definition," something one could use to obtain legal redress.

Now, let's focus on finding fact and leave the mud on the ground.
Not being condescending, you have made that statement a half a dozen times and people have offered it to you and yet you continue to say there is no defination, well there is and now you want a legal definition.

Now Now. Lets concentrate on wood burning and gathering. its much nicer that way.

KatWill said:
Now Now. Lets concentrate on wood burning and gathering. its much nicer that way.
We all know people use the term "seasoning" all the time, it serves no purpose to say it means nothing. Yes it is vague but a common term and well defined as the drying process of firewood.

fox9988 said:
I am css it for next year.We always burned green wood when I was a kid.Waited until we were about out then went and cut a couple of ricks.I'm trying to avoid creosote, my Dragon has to stay shut down very low or it will run us out of the house, but I always cut a year in advance and stack it out in the weather.Wood shed coming this summer.

Low and slow is going to give you creosote problems. Burn small, hot fires, not low heat, smoldering fires. If the stove puts too much heat out for your house, you just might have the wrong stove, ya think?

Kenster said:
fox9988 said:

Low and slow is going to give you creosote problems. Burn small, hot fires, not low heat, smoldering fires. If the stove puts too much heat out for your house, you just might have the wrong stove, ya think?

Nope, wrong house...

CTYank said:
fox9988 said:
fossil said:
fox9988 said:
...Now I'm a believer.

A believer of what?

One thing for sure here never listen to a Woodpecker who claims time after time that he burns 0% Moisture Content wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.