checked out a pellet insert here in CT and was blown away by the $$

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tonto

Nov 17, 2007
CT
hi all,im new to this board and wanted to share some info with everyone with hopes of someone giving me some advice.i went to a dealer today with the intentions of looking at a pellet insert and was shown 2 different models.the 1st being a avalon astoria bay large insert and the second the whitfield advantage.i liked the avalon over the advantage because it had a top front loader where as the avantage had a top rear loader.anyway,the avalon in black is 2799. if you want nickel door add 250,if you want gold add 300. with a surround,installation im at $4150 + tax.i can buy a lot of oil for 4k.anyne have any suggestions as to what my other options are?i havent checked out a wood insert yet only because i wanted to check out the pellets 1st becase they seem to be cleaner and more user friendly.thanks in advance.
COLD IN CONNECTICUT!!!!!!!

-The big question is always why you are thinking of buying. You are correct, 4K buys a lot of oil. In fact, it has been worked out by many folks here that they will save little or nothing with pellets when all the costs are figured in - but many buy them anyway because they use a local resource, are no dependent on mideast oil, keep a certain area warmer and give you a fire to sit around.

You'll find a lot of other threads here discussing this. Look around. And, if money is an object, spending hundreds of $$ for a nickel door seems silly also! Lot of different conclusions one can come to, and we have been through a LOT of the scenarios in other threads. As I said, dig around and read some of the popular articles (see my signature) as well as use the fuel cost comparison.

Pellet stoves are expensive, especially in peak season. At HomeDepot, the Englander 25-PI will probably be the best priced unit you will find that has good service. But before you rush out and buy one, price up a couple tons of pellets first. You'll need fuel, regardless of stove choice.

http://www.englanderstove.com/25-pi.html

Status
Not open for further replies.