Checking stove pipe for creosote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jzinckgra

Feeling the Heat
Jun 12, 2009
Raymond, Maine
I've been burning a new Jotul F55 for about a month now, using good dry wood. I have noticed the glass getting dirty every once and awhile, but not sooty. More clouded over, but most of the time it's pretty clear. All this talk in another thread about creosote buildup had me wondering about checking my pipe out. The problem is the height and access to it.

We have 13' exposed metalbestos on the outside of a 12/12 roof pitch. Not getting up there anytime soon and won't have it cleaned until next summer. Inside, we've got ~8' of straight pipe with a 45 degree elbow. Is it even worth it to remove the lower pipe section and take a look "up" to see? We've got one of those crown style wind caps, so a lot of light is blocked coming down the pipe, so not sure how much I'd see. Also, don't have anything to clean out the pipe, although I read awhile back one of those flexible type chimney cleaners with soft rubber brushes work well (name?). Any thoughts or suggestions?

I can't see where it would hurt to take a look at the flue. Shine a flashlight up there. You should be able to see enough to get an idea of what's going on.

I'm not sure of what you're talking about for cleaning... Maybe you're thinking of a sooteater or a poly brush on a fiberglass shaft?

I can't see where it would hurt to take a look at the flue. Shine a flashlight up there. You should be able to see enough to get an idea of what's going on.

I'm not sure of what you're talking about for cleaning... Maybe you're thinking of a sooteater or a poly brush on a fiberglass shaft?

yes, that's it.

Using a light from the bottom works just the same as light from the top. Best to be safe and check it once in a while at least for the first season just so you are comfortable with what is going on in there. Is your stove pipe adjustable/telescopic? Mine and many others just slide in and out allowing easy access from inside. Fire just needs to be burned way down but not out to inspect and clean. I do mine from the inside without issue as needed.

If not a straight shot - soot eater will be your best option and many here love them. I have a simple, straight shot so brushes work for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Use a light from the works just the same as light from the top. Best to be safe and check it once in a while at least for the first season just so you are comfortable with what is going on in there. Is your stove pipe adjustable/telescopic? Mine and many others just slide in and out allowing easy access from inside. Fire just needs to be burned way down but not out to inspect and clean. I do mine from the inside without issue as needed.

If not a straight shot - soot eater will be your best option and many here love them. I have a simple, straight shot so brushes work for me.
My pipe is not telescopic. I'm assuming that I'd just remove the sheet metal screws on the 1st section of pipe coming from the stove, then remove the 2nd set for that piece? The pipe should have enough wiggle room to pull it out of place, right? The other issue is I'll only be able to see ~5' of pipe then it transitions to the elbow. Would I expect more buildup inside the house or on the outside portion of the pipe?

I would imagine the biggest areas of build up will be at the elbow and then the further away from the stove you get do to the cooling of gas and condensation. If your can pull the 45 that would provide the most information but looking up from below it should tell you plenty about what is going on. The pipe is not going to be mirror clean - ever - once you has started using it so don't be surprised or worried if there is a dusting of soot - it is the shiny black stuff you want to avoid.

I would imagine the biggest areas of build up will be at the elbow and then the further away from the stove you get do to the cooling of gas and condensation. If your can pull the 45 that would provide the most information but looking up from below it should tell you plenty about what is going on. The pipe is not going to be mirror clean - ever - once you has started using it so don't be surprised or worried if there is a dusting of soot - it is the shiny black stuff you want to avoid.

yep, can do that. Maybe I'll look into getting the sooteater, but not sure that that would replace the need to have a chimney sweep every year.

I just bought the sooteater. My plan is to remove the first 5' section then the 2 elbows. I'll clean these in the garage. The rest will be 15' of straight right to the outside. What is the best way to keep a bunch of dust and particulate contained while I'm cleaning from the bottom up?

Put you rod through a plastic trash bag, hoping you have a section of pipe to tape or tie off the bag. Than feed the sections up through the hole in the bag the particles will fall into the bag. Hope it works, I think it will. That's what I plan to do. let me know how the sooteater works.

Richard

You have been burning for a month, with dry wood? I don't think there will be anything to clean.

Last edited:
Put you rod through a plastic trash bag, hoping you have a section of pipe to tape or tie off the bag. Than feed the sections up through the hole in the bag the particles will fall into the bag. Hope it works, I think it will. That's what I plan to do. let me know how the sooteater works.

Richard

You have been burning for a month, with dry wood? I don't think there will be anything to clean.
Just finished. I'd say I got about 2 cups worth of creosote. Only a little shiny stuff and mostly powder like consistency. I was burning a fair bit of dry pine and now oak which is why I wanted to check it.

Was nice and warm today so i took advantage of cleaning my class A too! One of those big plastic coffee containers fits the inner part of 6" supervent nicely! This was mine after 2 months use, filled about an 1" of the coffee container. image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.