Cherry bark uses?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rick clifford

Oct 19, 2012
So I have 5 choke cherry trees in my yard and they are either dead or dying rapidly over the past 2 years. They are not pretty but they have given me decent shade in an otherwise tree free yard. I have taken down 3 of them and as I cut them into rounds the bark is coming off in huge pieces. Many times it peeled off in a single piece and the wood looked very dark with tiny white worms just under the bark so I know they are infested. Anyway the wood will make great firewood without bark on it but I want to know if there is anything I can do or use the bark for. Can I break it up and use as a mulch or try to flatten it in sheets etc. OR should I get it out of here ASAP. Thanks

Maybe could use for meat smoking/flavoring? Or let it dry out for kindling? Otherwise toss it in a mulch pile and let nature do its thing to decompose it. My two cents worth.

Reactions: johneh
Maybe could use for meat smoking/flavoring? Or let it dry out for kindling? Otherwise toss it in a mulch pile and let nature do its thing to decompose it. My two cents worth.

What he said