Cherry.....ready to burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dannynelson77

Feeling the Heat
Jan 5, 2010
PA
I have some Cherry rounds that have been cut for about 3 years now maybe even longer, however havent been split. If I split them now will they be dry enough to burn?

with cherry it sure could be.

Yes, they should burn just fine. Cherry is a low moisture wood to begin with so they should burn great now.

I love burning cherry and for the smell, so do my neighbors

My experience with cherry is, it would be rotten by now. Let us know the outcome.

Oh its not rotten. I mean I havent split it yet, but rounds look good and hard.

Good luck splitting! Some have an easy time while others have a rough one. The one I recently split was brutal but so worth it.

I split a bunch of rounds last night. They were a dream and would just pop open. Boy they smelled like rich cherry syrup! I even hauled a piece inside for my wife to smell. Yummy!

I did not even think of testing one. I just put it on my green pile for next year. Oh well,

t

If it smells that good it probably still needs a little time to season. Although probably no more than 3 months, faster if you can bring it into the basement. Everyone claims if you can smell the wood when you split it then it is probably not ready to burn. I burn alot of cherry and find if it sits in my basement for a couple of weeks it is ready to go.

golfandwoodnut said:
If it smells that good it probably still needs a little time to season. Everyone claims if you can smell the wood when you split it then it is probably not ready to burn.

Good advice and very true indeed...

gzecc said:
My experience with cherry is, it would be rotten by now. Let us know the outcome.

Cherry will last a long, long time if kept off the ground and under cover. But if the cherry is already dead when you cut it will then turn punky fast. In fact, there probably will be part of the tree that is already punk. But cut a live cherry and it keeps very well.

We have some cherry in the pile we are burning now and it was cut and split 4 or 5 years ago. It is excellent wood.

I've never cut standing dead cherry myself, but I've had some delivered to me in the past. There was a fair amount of punk in the mix.

Cherry heartwood has a reputation among boatbuilders for being a durable (rot-resistant) hardwood, but the sapwood can go to rot pretty quickly if left uncovered in my experience. Since cherry can sometimes be up to 50% sapwood by volume, I prefer to burn it fresh (1 year or less). If I had a wood shed I might feel differently about this.

I agree with the others about it drying fast. Two weeks in the desert-like winter air in my basement and it's ready to throw on the fire.

I got two cord of fresh cut cherry delivered in the beginning of November. I had a split that I brought in on Dec. 28 and weighed on my old produce scale at 7lbs 12oz. It was down to 5lbs 12oz two weeks later. That's a 2 lb loss, or about 25% of the original weight in a 2 week period. Definitely burnable.

Status
Not open for further replies.