Cherry Tree Branch fell on my garage...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmwloco

Jan 17, 2008
Asheville NC
A big branch from a cherry tree finally dropped... on the garage and across the back yard. Punched through the overhang on the garage and did a number on the gutter, but that was about the only damage.

The owner of the tree, our neighbor, was good enough to have a great tree guy within 48 hours; I watched. A real magician with trees. Later, all the cherry was cut and stacked where I could get to it easily.

Sunday, I split close to a cord of it up. With my new toy:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200395542_200395542

The price was definitely right at $239. Free shipping to Northern Tool local. That's the only reason I didn't go with DR, it would have been $435 after shipping. 5 minutes out of the box was was making stove size chunks for the wood stoves. It is small enough to roll in and out of the garage too. Very quiet operation as well, just a 5 ton piston pushing wood into a wedge.

Build quality looks o.k. I haven't found any country of manufacture stickers.

Now all I have to do is build a proper wood shed and re-stack everything.

With this, and the oak that was cut and split last year, I should be good for wood... but I have more to pick up on my next day off!

That looks like a solid splitter. I've toyed around with getting a unit like that down the road.

Skier76 said:
That looks like a solid splitter. I've toyed around with getting a unit like that down the road.

It seems to be... basic construction, solid. I looked at DR, checked eBay, and this one was priced right. Picking up more wood tomorrow; I will be giving it another workout soon.

Happily, it is small enough to use in the sun room, too. Doubt that will happen, but you never know...

I wish my neighbor would take care of her dead trees like that. We have had several branches fall and make holes in our garage roof. Every time I mention it to her she does not want to hear anything about it.

Archer39 said:
I wish my neighbor would take care of her dead trees like that. We have had several branches fall and make holes in our garage roof. Every time I mention it to her she does not want to hear anything about it.

We were proactive. Previous, part of the tree had fallen while we were dining outside. The first branch missed me by inches.

First, we had a tree expert examine the tree and say it was in need of care. We then sent a certified letter with the neighbor and kept a copy for our records.

Maybe a bit much, but it sure made getting it taken care of easy. Our insurance adjuster said if the tree was dead and caused damage, they would pay. If live, they would consider it "an act of God" and probably not.

Archer39 - Might be a good idea to get it taken care of on your own. There have been several cases recently of people getting killed by fallen branches. The most recent was a woman in the Adirondack Mts. getting killed by a falling branch while she slept in her tent. Awhile ago a small baby was killed in NYC by a falling branch as well. Both sad stories.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if a tree is overhanging your property I believe you have the legal right to have whatever is overhanging taken down. I went through the same thing a number of years ago at my former residence. There would always be small sticks and crap falling on my driveway and pickup truck. While I was having some other tree work done, I had them trim the neighbors tree as well. I did let her know first as they did have to go on part of her property. It cost me only a couple of dollars and it solved the problem.

bmwloco said:
Skier76 said:

It seems to be... basic construction, solid. I looked at DR, checked eBay, and this one was priced right. Picking up more wood tomorrow; I will be giving it another workout soon.

Happily, it is small enough to use in the sun room, too. Doubt that will happen, but you never know...

I thought the same thing. "I could use this inside if I ever needed more kindling in the middle of winter..." :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.