Cherrywood Score From Neighbor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cluttermagnet

Minister of Fire
Jun 23, 2008
Mid Atlantic
I noticed a few shorty log length pieces of Maple at the foot of a neighbor's driveway- not big stuff, probably just a branch, maybe 6in diameter at most. I called him and asked if I could take that obviously discarded wood, and I mentioned that I now heat my house entirely with wood. He said yeah, sure, and then told me to hang on a moment. I heard him have a brief chat with his wife, then he came back on and said "Would you like some more wood? I have a pile and you can have half of it. We're not burning as much lately." They now have a two year old daughter, and it turns out they are not using their fireplace near as often as they used to.

I went over yesterday and took half of what looked to be about 3/4+ cord in all. It looks like about a half cord or a little less, as loosely stacked (tossed) in my 1-ton van. It's about 4 year old wood, he tells me, mostly Cherry with a little Maple and the odd piece of Gum here and there. It was all split and stacked- a little buggy with a little rot in places, but mainly good, sound wood and plenty of BTU's. The bark was falling off most of the Cherry.

I'm beat from moving it up a small hill from his back yard to the driveway. It was probably 25-30 partial wheelbarrow loads. I got in late and was real tired, so I'll post photos later in the day after it's out of the van.

The wood is well seasoned but is wet. I plan to trim off the worst of the punky wood on a few of the splits, and then let it all sit and breathe, spread out on pallets. Then I'll restack when it's good and dry again. A good day, in all. I wish all my wood came pre- cut, split, and seasoned like that. ;-)

Good score!

I think it helps 'prime the pump' for future scores when we remove whtever wood folks donate quickly and gently. I find the wheelbarrow very gentle.

A few of my better scores dropped by the house and inqured if I would be interested in quickly and descretely removing a tree. They had seen or heard I take them out fast and gently and didn't want the hastle of waiting and wondering if their relative really would 'come and take it'...

ATB,
Mike

You may not even have to remove the punk. If there is just a little on some, just throw it into the stack and burn it.

It pays to be a good neighbor!

Here's a photo after unloading the van. It's the two piles next to the trees. This batch is going onto those pallets in the background in a thin layer to dry out. I did pick up just a little more of that Cherry the next day, and also spent about an hour restacking his half a pile. It was on a slope and was leaning and looked ready to go over any time. I also cleaned up the area, throwing lots of shedded bark over his fence (his idea). I think my haul is going to end up being more like 1/4 to 1/3 cord in total. These piles are a little bigger than they appear. The camera doesn't do them justice. I'll follow up later when I get it stacked. Hey, it's free BTU's, and Cherry is pretty good wood.
WoodScoreCherry.jpg

This is 'wood triage'. The pile on the right arrived OK and ready to dry 'as is'. The pile on the left is the 'wounded'- needs punky wood chipped off so it will dry better/ faster while not under cover. ;-) If it were going under cover, I wouldn't bother trimming it. You can see the chopping block peeking out on the right side of that pile. Now where's that hatchet?

Four year old Cherry splits like a dream and burns good and hot. This wood is so ready I'm going to go ahead and loosely pile the good stuff and get it under cover 'soon', then stack it covered later. The punky stuff I'll still trim and spread out on pallets for a short while to dry, then add it to the other pile.

That cherry wood is now jumble stacked under cover and ended up being a little over 0.4 cord. Tried a few and they burned great. The rest will be part of my supply that gets used earlier next season. They're ready right now.

Nice! I'm always amazed at the power of ASKING! Seems that more often that not, folks don't mind me cleaning up downed trees, etc. Usually only a 'no' if they burn wood or know someone who does and want them to have the wood. Enjoy! Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.