Chimmney brush cost

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wulybgr

Feb 23, 2007
Port Orchard WA
I am new to burning. Back in Sept I had a Lopi Revere insert and liner professionaly installed into a ZC fireplace. I asked the installer about which brush we should use to clean the chimmney ourselves. He said we could not use a "Home Depot" type brush as it will scratch the liner. The brush he suggested was about $200 total including the rods needed to clean the entore chimmney. We have a 1 stroy house with vaulted ceilings. The total chimmney is probably 20' or so - I have not measured it yet, but will before buying the brush and rods. Has anyone heard that liners can be scratched with the wrong type of brush and does $200 seem like it awfully expensive for the necessary brush. I will certainly buy what is needed, just want your opinons.

Steve

That sounds a little off to me. I have a SS liner, and use a poly brush and fiberglass rods (available at pretty much any hardware store) and have hod no problems. I think the general concensus is to use poly on metal chinmeys, and wire brushes on masonary chimneys.

EDIT: regarding costs.... if you are buying local.... including rods.... maybe $35-40

Rutland poly brush for stainless liner at Ace Hardware: $20.99

Rutland 45" rods for the brush at Ace Hardware: $8.99 each

Slapping that gold digging sweep upside the head with one of the rods: Priceless

Depends what he was intending on setting you up with. There are many different rods, quick connects that can be added that aren't cheap. What you need for homeowner use is probably what BB mentioned. He may have been setting you up with some heavier duty rods. His brush is going ot be almost twice the cost. Trainload to a Truckload syndrome. The quick connects cost 12 bucks for each end if memory serves so if he was quoting those then yeah 200 for a setup to brush 20' is about right.

In comparison I recently bought a few different 3" Pellet brushes for shop use. One was RoVAC and has a button lock system. The brush is really nice, looks well made and has lots of fine bristles. It was about $30 for the brush I think, and maybe $15 for each rod. The other was Rutland and the brush looks really cheesy and only worth the $10 or so it cost, the rods are screw together and were less than $10 each. Nice thing about the Rutland is the rods are thinner and will supposedly bend around a 3" 90 deg pellet joint.

Status
Not open for further replies.