Chimnet Sweep/ what do u think?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FatttFire

Feb 14, 2008
Snowbelt, Ohio
I have the brushes and the ladder and have been up on the roof many times, so no problum there! I am a " handy " man so I usually do most things myself, like everybody else in an attempt to save money, and alot has to do with pride! I received an add in the paper for a sale on a cleaning, deodorizing, and 20 point inspection for a sale price of $60.00! I am not worried about spending the cash, and I have done the research and the company is a member of the BBB, NFPA memeber and approved, and is a National Chimney Sweep Guild Memeber! So finally my question ........................ do I get it professionaly done, so I know its in good shape all around?

Shouldn't be a problem but be ready to find that you need expensive repairs. Whether you do or not. :cheese:

That has long been a complaint about the sweep business.

I s'pose it depends on just how deep your DIY obsession goes. I, too, suffer from that. I've found that as I age, I'm a lot more inclined to hire professionals for some stuff. I'm inclined to pass on purchasing the tools required to do my own sweeping, and pay someone else to go up on my tile roofs to do the job for me. My wife has a friend whose husband is a sweep, so I'm gonna give him a try in the hope that their relationship will deter him somewhat from the sort of behavior to which BB referred. He may not be that way anyway, dunno...haven't met him yet. If you decide to do it yourself, be careful up there. Rick

I agree brother bart! Thats what worries me! I understand what, and why they might be like that to cover theirs butt, but at the same time, I would like an honest assesment, not a glorified/ cover your butt idea! Just be honest with me! Clean my chimney and and be honest, and I will sign on the bottom line, promising not to come after you if my house burns down! Isn't that the whole reason you sign the bottom line? I am not a person to do anything like that anyways, un like most people my age (30 ) I tend to blame myself first, not everybody else first and sue sue sue! I hate that it makes me want to pull my hair out, what hair I have! :red: Now I am on my soap box! sorry :red:

Just want an honest clean and inspection!

The other verse to the tune is that according to your chimney setup there may be some stuff that needs to be done that they will identify. What kind of stove and flue/liner do you have?

I have a inside masonary chimney with a 8 x 12 clay liner! My stove is an Old Fisher, connected to a 6 inch thimble!

FatttFire said:
I have a inside masonary chimney with a 8 x 12 clay liner! My stove is an Old Fisher, connected to a 6 inch thimble!

OOOH! Methinks that's a less than ideal combination. Might want to splurge on the "professional" opinion. At least it will be "them" that's getting dirty...

You don't have to agree on everyones opinion, but they might catch something that you would miss!

Chris

I am going to give them a call on monday! I will post and tell you how it goes! Thanks, for the help!

I think you've made a wise decision. It'll be interesting to hear what the sweep tells you. Rick

I recently had a chimney sweep try to sell one of our customers a new $160 cap for his class A pipe. We JUST installed everything in OCT and unfortunately the customers bad burn habits or bad wood lead to the cap clogging up bad his first season. The sweep said that cap was no good because the screen is too tight. Its a fricking simpson duravent cap. I think that one of the largest chimney mfgs in the country knows how to make a damned cap. I have found sweeps just LOVE to tell people that their chimney was designed wrong, or their cap is a bad design, or the stove must be defective. Instead of trying to find the root of the problem they just point the finger and whatever is easiest. So instead of helping the customer burn better the sweep wanted to line his pockets. So I went out there to discuss the situation and now all is good. He is going to give my suggestions a try this next season and let me know if he has any more problems.

I think the consumer/owner/operator has a big obligation to himself to understand all he can about what he's got and how to operate it properly, and to know the right smart questions to ask. It's easy for an "expert" to convince a naive customer that he needs something he doesn't. Too easy. I wish every business person and tradesman were trustworthy, honest, and straightforward...but every one isn't. When I find a good one, I bring more business. When I find the other kind, I run away. I always try to do my homework thoroughly and know what I'm talking about before relying soley on someone else's sales pitch or "expert opinion". Rick

Rick I am the same way! When I find a good person, in any trade I throw business at them all the time! It is my way of saying thanks, and I do it, bc I would hope someone would do the same for me, if they found a good person in a trade!

jtp10181 its nice to see and hear an honest man is still around! Then go out to his house? Nice job!

FTY

Status
Not open for further replies.