Chimney ADDition not just extension.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mazz1111

Hearth Supporter
Mar 18, 2009
western NC
Hi Y'all....

we added a story on the chimney side of our house. Now we have to add 134" to the chimney to get " 2ft above/within 10ft ". The

I have removed the exisiting/ deteriorating cap and am left with two flue tiles penetrating 8-10" out of a 32" x53" rectacngle.
One flue tile is 18"sq, the other is 8"x12", the larger a 1st story FP, the smaller a basement Woodchuck 2900. The chimney is currently about 25 feet high.

Okay -

Since the top flue tiles in each stack are both cracked anyway, and the system is over 20yrs old, I am thinking of just lining the whole thing.

What I would like to do is drop a single wall flex liner into the existing flue tiles to the woodchuck in the basement and the FP (to a new thimble so I can nix the FP for an insert). NOW- to save lots of labor in mason work, I'd like to transition to a zero-clearance double wall liner for the 11 feet of new chimney ,maybe pour a slab with some anchor bolts and stick frame the additional chimney height.

Does this sound feasable, and how do I transition from single wall to double wall???

Any input would be appreciated,
thanks everyone,
mike

Attachments

• chimney3.jpg
    chimney3.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 163
Status
Not open for further replies.