Chimney Angles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

northernwoodsman

Feb 13, 2008
Northern MN
Because of our room layout, we'd like to place a wood stove (Englander 30) in the corner of the house. The house is a story and a half, which means a "straight up" chimney would leave the room and be at the roof line. Not a big deal, except to meet the 10-2 rule, the chimney would be approximately 13' tall on the outside. The roof is steep (12/12 pitch).

What I'd like to do (and I suspect I know the answer already) is run the chimney straight up and then at a 45 degree angle for 12' then straight up through the roof for 6'. I suspect a chimney at 45 degrees for 12 feet is a no-no, but I thought I'd ask to get the idea out of my head.

The picture below shows the outside of the house. The stove would be on the right hand side of the picture in the corner by the windows. The chimney would follow the roof line and exit near the right hand side of the second floor window.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Attachments

• front of house.jpg
    front of house.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 565
Somewhere there is a pic of a similar setup except thier ceiling was very high. With the short amount of verticle you will have plus the long 45 it could cause problems.

Also you would have to hang the pipe from the ceiling somehow for such a long run.

Judging by the lack of replies, I must have been correct in my assumption that a 12' run at 45 degrees is too much.

Next question ... another possibility is to angle the chimney with the pipe coming out of the chimney and get it to a spot in the ceiling where it can run straight up to the roof. Is there any guidelines or rules to follow when determining how much of an angle a chimney can run??

Thanks

When I was looking at options for offsetting a chimney seems like most manufacturers do not make a make a manufactured chimney with 45 degree fittings, 15 and 30 degrees are the norm. Also in the installation instructions it gives a maximum distance (length of pipe) between bends for the offset. These factors helped me decide where to locate the stove. The location it is in now does not require an offset in the manufactured chimney, but does in the double wall stove pipe below the ceiling (rafter in the way). I believe there is a limit on the horizontal length of the pipe too, if you are considering a using 90 degree elbow and a Tee fitting.

aussieblake

Thanks for the info. The further I investigate, the more I realize there is a science to chimney design and placement! Does anyone know off-hand the max offset for a double-wall stove pipe?

I believe it is 180 degrees, because you can install a 90 degree elbow to another 90 degree elbow or a Tee fitting. I have no idea about the max distance between the fittings.

aussieblake

This guy said his works just fine.

Attachments

• long pipe.jpg
    long pipe.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 4,532
WOW this a long offset, I am pretty sure there should be a support in that somewhere, especially since it is a simple straight up and down install. I would bet somewhere in the IMC (International Mechanical Code), there is a supporting requirement for horizontal runs.'

aussieblake

BrotherBart said:
This guy said his works just fine.

That's the one I was talking about! Thanks.

I too have seen many of these type installations and all say they work just fine. Also, all that I've seen have had hangers spaced approximately every 4'.

The picture shows something very similar to what I want to do, EXCEPT I have a second story bedroom above the stove. I am in the process of remodeling the bedroom right now (baby on the way!) so it is a perfect chance to make this work. Does anyone else have any suggestions or comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.