chimney cap advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karl

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 9, 2007
Huntington, West Virginia
Attached are two pictures of my chimney. I am going to install an insert in the fireplace and I intend to line it with a stainless steel liner. My plan is to cut a hole in the top of the concrete above the chimney opening. This will allow me to slide the liner down the chimney as well as make it easier to clean. To cover the hole, I was going to place another piece of concrete on top of it. This way it is covered and I can slide it out of the way to clean the chimney.

As for a chimney cap. Do I need one? The gap between the chimeny and the concrete slab is about 10 inches. If I need a cap can I place in that gap or do i need to run the liner up above it and then put a cap on it? I like how the chimney looks and I really don't want to change it.

Thanks

Karl

Attachments

• chimney.jpg
    chimney.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 336
  • chimney1.jpg
    chimney1.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 313
I think with the setup there - you already have the cap, so the only change is an access to be able to get the liner in, and be able to clean it. As long as there's no direct way for water to get in there - I would think you would be fine. It seems like that is only a slight change from what you have now.

Great. I really like the way the chimney looks now and I didn't want to have to change it. Also, about having nothing above the chimney. I have a satelite dish mounted on top of it. It's not in the picture. Does that really count as an obstruction?

There is a house out there with 5 or so fireplaces terminated like that. Then they added a pool house and put a Stainless outdoor prefab unit in which uses 11" pipe, and put one of those slabs over the top (without an approved cap, which is required). The whole slab is black and supposedly they have only burned a few fires.

Mine was identical to yours in the beginning, I had to look twice at yours as I had thought you had taken a pic of mine! anyways, beware of rodents getting into your stove/house, I had to place screens in the openings to keep the Bats/Birds and squirrels outta the living room!!

T

jtp10181 said:
There is a house out there with 5 or so fireplaces terminated like that. Then they added a pool house and put a Stainless outdoor prefab unit in which uses 11" pipe, and put one of those slabs over the top (without an approved cap, which is required). The whole slab is black and supposedly they have only burned a few fires.

Sounds like a different situation though. He's putting in a high efficiency insert, not an outdoor prefab open fireplace. Seems to me it will be just fine without the cap although I might consider finding someway to get a screen in there to prevent any sparks or embers from escaping, even though the chance of that happening is pretty minuscule.

Corie said:
jtp10181 said:

Sounds like a different situation though. He's putting in a high efficiency insert, not an outdoor prefab open fireplace. Seems to me it will be just fine without the cap although I might consider finding someway to get a screen in there to prevent any sparks or embers from escaping, even though the chance of that happening is pretty minuscule.

I know... it just made me think of that. The slab cap looks exactly like the house I was at, except it was all black.

Status
Not open for further replies.